Revision - RNY to Lap Band

clpeltz
on 12/28/11 10:20 am
On December 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
Just to offer other stats, all my RNY friends have gained their weight back too!
Which is why I wouldn't suggest the Lap Band or RNY to my worst enemy.  In my opinion, VSG and DS are the only good options.  But that IS my opinion

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

heathercross
on 12/28/11 11:04 pm, edited 12/28/11 11:04 pm - New York, NY
 Not everyone can convert to a DS when they've had an Open RNY (OR WOULD WANT TO).  It is very tricky and dangerous, in my docotor's opinion.  And it wasn't just her opinion, I got 2!  
clpeltz
on 12/29/11 1:00 am
On December 29, 2011 at 7:04 AM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
 Not everyone can convert to a DS when they've had an Open RNY (OR WOULD WANT TO).  It is very tricky and dangerous, in my docotor's opinion.  And it wasn't just her opinion, I got 2!  
Probably because they couldn't DO it.  Of course they are going to steer you away from it if they CANNOT perform the surgery.  You are right that there is more risk.  It is not for the faint of heart.  You have to do your research.  There are only a handful of surgeons in the US that can do RNY to DS revisions, and if you are not getting an opinion from one of them, they you are not getting accurate information.  It may not have been right for you, but it is important that everyone research ALL of there options.  In my opinion, it is utterly ridiculous to go into a surgery NOT knowing all of your options.  And, yes, I fall into this category!  I got my RNY not knowing of the DS---I was STUPID---I DID NOT DO MY RESEARCH.  I hope to save someone from my fate---needing a revision.

Think twice, cut once!

Dr. Henry Buchwald

heathercross
on 12/29/11 1:53 am - New York, NY
Please reread my post! Dr Mitchell Roslin does DS, so does Kurian. Roslin is the best in the business. A lot of people I'm this corymb used him for their revision to DS.
clpeltz
on 12/29/11 2:32 am
On December 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
Please reread my post! Dr Mitchell Roslin does DS, so does Kurian. Roslin is the best in the business. A lot of people I'm this corymb used him for their revision to DS.
My apologies!  Roslin is a vetted RNY-DS revisionist, however Kurian is not. 

Dr. Henry Buchwald

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 12:34 pm, edited 12/28/11 12:34 pm
You definitely have to choose the surgery that will be best for you, your body. I just revised my RNY to the DS. I got 2 opinions, and the other surgeon wanted to do a lapband. But for me, the thought of putting a foreign object around a surgery that had already failed me wasn't the answer. I just had surgery 13 days ago, so I can't speak to weight loss/goal yet (though I'm down 14 lbs, gotta love that first drop!). But I know this was the right choice for me, my body, age, stubborn metabolism. With the RNY and Lapband, I know both tremendous success stories - hundred of pounds lost and maintained; and fails - RNYers gaining all their weight back, lapbands removed. Read, research, get more than one surgeon opinion. Really understand the surgeries, what they do, and how they speak to your particular obesity/emotional issues, and then decide what is best for YOU.
Aasect .org
on 1/2/12 11:57 pm
My doctor gave me an RNY with a band over it, not a lap band but a vbg. It doesn't do anything to prevent weight gain especially when you can't keep down protein sources. I am anemic, I am miserable, and I am seriously thinking about revising.

I keep reading all the statistic on lap bands and I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want one or would consider it less invasive. It's a foreign object. It can erode. It can cause massive reflux. It can cause vomiting. I have enough of those problems with the permanent band on my stoma.

I wish I had read more before having my rny but with all the reading I'm doing now my opinion is that a lap band is asking for more trouble at some point. They all have to come out eventually according to the manufacturer.
Nunyo B.
on 1/3/12 10:39 am
At 9:29PM on 01/03/12 LyndiaIn said:

Just read the past 50 - 100 pages of the revision board.  Count how many Lapbands are posting about wanting a revision to the RNY or the DS.  Now count how many RNYers are posting about wanting a revision to the band over bypass or the DS.  Last, count how many DS patients are posting about having a revision to another surgery.  I can already answer the last one - 0!!

If you've already been through one failure, why in the world would you want to go for a second?  Take it from me, someone who has been through a revision, they SUCK!!  Revision surgeries, regardless of what you're doing, have a higher rate of complication right off the bat because they are revisions.  And once you've gone through one revision and it fails, then what?  Will you go for a third?  

I was in the hospital for almost 8 weeks due to a leak, I had massive scar tissue in my stomach and while I do have a DS sleeve, it is dual chambered because of the island of scar tissue in the middle.  I came home with a PICC line and on TPN, nothing to eat or drink by mouth for 5 months.  It was complete and total hell, and I don't wi**** on anyone.  So, the moral of my story is, if you have to go through a revision, make the best choice and go to an experienced revision surgeon!  Don't let your doctor, your insurance company or your own fear deter you from what is the best for you.  Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy, and don't want to listen to voices of reason or experience, and have a bad habit of thinking "that won't happen to ME" or "MY experience will be different."  Maybe, maybe not.  Just be well informed before you decide what it is you're going to do that will impact the rest of your life.

All the best!

I'm beginning all of my posts with LyndiaIN said in case my account is deactivated, that way you'll still know who said this.

Most Active