Revision - RNY to Lap Band

mebbie
on 12/27/11 10:27 am - Joliet, IL
Hi,

I had the rny done in 2004 and now I am having the lap band put on my pouch because I didn't lose the weight wanted and actually gained about 50 pounds of the 154 I lost.  Has anyone had this done and how did you do. 
Yehuda G.
on 12/27/11 11:31 am, edited 12/26/11 11:31 pm
I did not have this revision, but I would not recommend it. There are many complications associated with the band. I know someone who had this done earlier this year, and she gets stuck constantly and has many dietary problems.
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 12:19 am
i know there are several people who have gotten the lapband over the RNY..

my thought is quite simple - if you read this revision board / the lapband board, you will see how many of us (yes me) who had damage done by the band.   i can't see it as an option, when SO many are revising to other surgeries.

seems like trading one problem for another - but that would just be MO.

good luck, 

FLJeepGirl
on 12/28/11 12:26 am

Hello - I am a LapBand to RNY Revision.  I wouldn't recommend the band (personally).  I've had too many complications (developed severe GERD) and damage to my esophagus.  I ended up gaining back all the weight I'd lost (60 pounds) plus 20.  I had hearburn prior to being banded and my revision surgeon told me I should have never even been a candidate for the band.  Another revision (even RNY revision) may work for you.  Have you gone for a consult to get your surgeon or another surgeon's opinion?  I'd recommend doing that then research, research, research...go in half glass empty and make an education decision.  Best of luck to you!

heathercross
on 12/28/11 5:07 am - New York, NY
 Hi.  You know what they say about opinions, everyone's got one.  My RNY failed, as did yours.  Whose to say the Lap Band will as well. I had a BOB (Lap Band over Bypass) done on June 23rd.  Simple procedure, in and out.  Would have gone home the same day except I had a hernia repair as well. I had my initial WLS in Aug of 2002, went from 305 to 175. I had since gained back an insane amount of weight and got back up to 246.6 before undergoing a Lap Band in June.  I have Aetna, I didn't have to wait the6 mos nor did I have to do the nurtionist and psychiatrist, but, every insurance is indeed difference. I am down almost 50lbs in 6 mos.  Is the weight los slow? DAMN STRAIGHT it is.  Do I take it for granted this time?  NO WAY!  ANyone can lose with an RNY and the band is more lie a diet.  I've been averaging over 5lbs a month and I am starting to re-think revising my initial goal of 175 to 150.  I've gone from an 18 to a 12 in 6 mos and I am working out 5-6 days a week. I feel great. Please, whatever you do, research the procedure, get a good doctor and make your own deision.  Don't let anyone on this board do it for you.

Please feel free to email me offline if you'd like.

Heather
[email protected]

numbersnerd
on 12/28/11 6:41 am - TX
Heather -

i am you... GP in 2002 - lost 86 of my 100 lb goal in 7 months - and almost 10 years later i have gained back all but 13 lbs - a hernia sent me to the doctor to repair - he will not do it without repairing the GP - still having tests run - do not know status of insurance coverage (i have Blue Cross Blue Shield) - my question is:  why the band? - why not do a revision of the original bypass - and specifically... did your 2 stomachs "find each other" again? - thanks - i appreciate any response -
heathercross
on 12/28/11 11:14 pm - New York, NY
Hi.  I saw 2 doctors, Roslin and Kurian.  Roslin wanted to do a RNY revision after seeing my ct scan and my endoscopy. He also told me the complication rate was 20-40% and the death rate like 2-5%.  I was too scared to go through with it. My first surgery was totally uneventful and I felt like I was tempting fate. I had no co-morbs but was just gaining. He did say that if I didn't do anything, I'd be back to 300lbs in less than 5yrs.  Well, that scare the bejesus out of me.  So, I contemplated the RNY revision., We discussed a DS too but due to my RNY being open and a fistula I had, he said too tricky and I trust him bc well, Roslin is the best in the world.  Or one of them!  Long story short, Lenox Hill had recently become part of the NSLIJ health system and my Aetna said ONLY AT A BARIATRIC CENTER OF EXCELLANCE and Lenox Hill had temporaily lost their rating during the transformation to NSLIJ.  So, I went to see Roslin's old partner, Dr, Kurian (Al Roker's Doctor) and well, I've known her for 10yrs bc she/Leitman/Roslin were all at Lenox Hill together.  She knows me.  She knows how commited I once was as I used to come to Support Groups monthly and she also knows my love of wine.  She thought I'd do great with the band bc I was a light weight.  She advised against the DS since I asked bc the people on this board push the DS like heroin!  She showed me the hiatial hernia on the film and said she'd fix that during surgery bc if she didn't I'd have a lifetime of acid reflux and told me I could expect to lose btwn 50-75lbs. The rest was up to me.  50 lbs would get me back under 200 and 75lbs would get me to my prior low of 175. ANything else was gravy. Well, its been 6 mos as of 12-23 and I am down to 202.  I'm down about 44lbs and I was down if xmas didn't happen last week. Its like a diet and I love my band. Yes, I've read the horror stories on the band board and I've lived through the RNY bull****!  I also know someone who had a bloatched DS surgery by one of the nation's best, so, did I do the right thing? I did what was right for me and thats all I can ask.

numbersnerd
on 12/29/11 2:31 am - TX
thanks, Heather - i'll be watching for your posts...
FLJeepGirl
on 12/28/11 6:25 am
I agree with the everyone has their opinion...and I'm not going to play the I'm right and your wrong game.  However I know 13 people (from my local support group) that were banded within three months of me and all but two had to have revision surgeries or band removals. The complications didn't begin until over a year post-op.  If I'd known now what I knew then I'd not have it done.  Screw the weight loss part of it (who loses the most - it is a bs argument)...the complications long term just aren't worth it to me; and are very very painful - especially if you have had reflux.  Slips are no fun, prolapses are no fun, band erosion is no fun... Long term, It is proven to have a 50% failure rate.   I'm not saying that I'm anti-band, not at all, after all I thought I'd made a good choice six months after my surgery as well, my husband is banded and has success with it.  However, it doesn't work for all, neither does RNY, or DS or Sleeve....  Just know that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows...Do your own research and make your own opinion (like I said before)....
heathercross
on 12/28/11 6:46 am - New York, NY
Just to offer other stats, all my RNY friends have gained their weight back too!
Most Active