Really fast!

gingerlarsen
on 12/20/11 2:30 am - plano, TX
I had a revision from Lapband to RNY Dec. 10th.  Wasn't really expecting it.  Went in for a endoscopy because I've been vomiting basically for a year.  They found slippage, errosion, a hernia, ulceration, etc.  Md said the band had to come out.  He said he could just remove the band  but in 2 years I'd be back weighing 270lbs again.  I was 180lbs going into surgery. That was on Fri 12/2.  The following Tues, 12/6,  his office called and said I had been approved for the a revision and they had scheduled me for Sat 12/10.  So basically I had 3 days to prepare. This surgery has been alot harder than the band.  No real complications just kindof freaked out about it all.  I knew I needed it because I never reached goal with the band and was having issues, but I feel alittle traumatized.   Got a diet handout that Im trying to follow, have f/u with surgeon this Thurs, took 2 weeks off from work but can have more if needed. I've lost 14lbs in 6 days. I get up and think im gonna do something and then half way through it I have to go lay down. Cried a couple of times out of know where. I am 10 days post op as of today.  I do have some questions:

1.  When will I start feeling stronger? I feel alittle better everyday but super slow recovery. Im a go,go,go kindof person.
2.  Anxious about eating.  Had a bad experience with a pureed egg (ugh!)
3.  Why do I feel depressed?  I'm usually pretty happy.
4.  My fiancee has been super supportive but my family is angry that I did this.  They all think Im gonna die.  Really?
5.  Haven't started vitamins yet.  Waiting to see the surgeon for his recommendations. Should I just go ahead and start?
Thanks,  Ginger
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 3:56 am
did you even want rny as a revision ?

i would suspect the feelings you have is due to this happening so fast.   i revised to the sleeve & it took me a good 3 wks to start feeling a bit like myself - by day 8 is when i started my vitamins (per dr).

hormones also are probably reeking havoc on you - take some time & baby yourself. 

take care.

gingerlarsen
on 12/20/11 10:39 pm - plano, TX
Yes I did.  He could have just removed the band and let it be, but I know what would have happened.  Doing better today.  Thanks to all for all the support.!  It REALLY makes a difference.
Ladytazz
on 12/20/11 8:23 am
That sounds like my story.  I saw my surgeon on a Thursday and he said I needed a revision.  The next Monday they called me and I had my surgery that Friday, eight days from visit to surgery.
The depression is normal any time you have anesthesia.  Throw in the hormones being released from the fat you are losing and you have an emotional mess.  It will get better, on all accounts.
I would call the surgeon and ask about the vitamins.  I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to go too long without them.
Don't worry about your family.  They will come around when they see you healthier.
The eating will get better, too.  It just takes time.  Follow your surgeon's recommendations and go slow.  If you find something you don't tolerate try it again later.  A lot of people have problems with eggs and chicken so you might want to wait a bit before you add those in.
Best of luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

gingerlarsen
on 12/20/11 10:41 pm - plano, TX
Thanks...feeling better today.  Will see surgeon tomorrow and have my staples removed! Actually went almost all day yesterday without feeling like I had to lay down.
Most Active