from RNY to SLEEVE

elsa2
on 12/6/11 10:03 am - fort worth, TX
im having a few issues with my origional RNY fron jan 2006. my dr is revising, and says the sleeve will work wonders and will help me to start loosing weight again. has anyone else revised from RNY? how was the origional weight loss compared to revised?

is there anything i should ask my dr that i might not think about?

any info is helpfull...
Monique A.
on 12/8/11 9:44 am, edited 12/7/11 9:45 pm - NY
I have never heard of anyone revision from a pouch w rny to sleeve w same amount of small intestine bypassed.
there are studies to support revising to extended rny or a distal or reconfigure your pouch to sleeve via a duodenal switch. unfortunately for both procedures there is not much information available to say how anyone is doing long term because revisions from RNY is an up and coming field so to say. the best information is from RNY to DS that is because from RNY to DS there is greater malabsortion. do some research
actually unless ur pouch and or stoma are dilated there would be no benefit in revision from RNY pouch to a sleeve because ur stomach would actually be larger than it was from the RNY so u would be less restricted not more. where r u in the process of considering revision. check out the bariatric times and search for revisions and will will see the options available. not many surgeons are performing revisons on RNY because of the high rate of complications and there are many possibilities. Moreover the majority of surgeons performing RNY to DS are doing so open not lap. the option is band over bypass which studies are less than promising. dont take the second time under the knife for granted.

btw what do u mean u r having issues w ur RNY?
elsa2
on 12/8/11 9:50 am - fort worth, TX
I have had a fistula, they put a fresh line of staples in 09 but the fistula has reoped conecting the top & bottom tummy.  my dr says it would be best to minimize the top portion and remove the bottom that creates the gherkin? something he claims makes me hungry. but there would be no additional malabsorbson..
MsBatt
on 12/11/11 7:24 am
Revising an RNY to a Sleeve requires putting the pouch and the remnant stomach back together, then fashioning a Sleeve. It would also mean re-connecting the now-bypassed part of your small intestine, leaving you with no malabsorption. This CAN be done, but I wouldn't let anyoe do this unless s/he had done at least 100+ of them---it's HARD!

Also, if I was going to take this kind of risk, I'd want to full DS, not just the Sleeve. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss stats.

Sounds to me like in your original RNY, they did not transect the pouch from the remnant stomach. Not the best surgical technique, but more common in '06 than it is today.

I'd definitely get a second opinion, from someone who specializes in revision surgery.
vics1313
on 1/11/12 9:30 am
Talk to your doc. These people have no idea what they are talking about. Converting from rny does not increase the size of your pouch nor do they reconnect your stomach. I am having this kind of revision on Friday. I have done my research. Talked to my doc extensively and am positive its right for me. Go to the sleeve forum for a description of the procedure. Good luck!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/13/12 1:56 am
Since your gutter mouth got your last post pulled, I'll say again to the OP, to consider the source of the info.

Look at the time lines, and who's successful with their surgery and has helped hundreds of folks here (like MsBatt) or the newb that has not, and is having a failed RNY replaced with another RNY. 

Vicky too, would do well to read from some of the vets here and try a surgeon that knows more than band or RNY.

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 10:15 pm, edited 1/13/12 10:18 pm
Most Active