Denied for Revision from Band to RNY

kimhoke
on 12/4/11 2:39 am

Hi,
I was notified by my doctor's office that my insurance (Federal BCBS) denied my request to revise from the lap band to a RNY. The denial is based on the fact that I have not been exercising and it hasn't been two years since my last WLS.  I do exercise however, its hard to work out 3 times a week when you weigh 286lbs and suffer from intense joint and hip pain.  The reason that I initally wanted WLS was to relieve my symptoms and improve my health  so that I could workout. I throw up every day because of the band and food constantly gets stuck.  Not sure if I should appeal because I'm not sure if it will make a difference.  I've spent most of the weekend in bed crying because I feel hopelessly stuck in lap band hell.  I would appreciate any appeal letters or other helpful advice.  Thanks

shele
on 12/4/11 3:37 am
Might just be a blessing in disguse! Have you researched the DS?

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

kimhoke
on 12/4/11 3:44 am

Yes, but my insurance company does not cover the DS. 

shele
on 12/4/11 3:46 am
research some of Diana Cox's posts, there is hope!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Hislady
on 12/4/11 9:37 am - Vancouver, WA
Before you do anything else get your band either totally or partially unfilled! If you are vomitting every day it's either too tight or you've set up a situation where it is continuing the irritation around the band. Then do liquids for a day or two, then mushies for a few days then try solids again but slowly, let your poor tummy rest and relax. It just makes things worse if it is constantly irritated. By the way around 2-3 years is when problems typically start cropping up. If you don't already frequent the band board, come on over and we'll be glad to try to help you.
As far as revision at least try to appeal once, sometimes they just deny the first one to see how serious you are about it. If you have joint and hip pain your doc should explain that as a reason you are unable to do alot of exercise. Never give up!!!
kimhoke
on 12/4/11 9:47 am
Thanks for the encouragement. I had the band emptiedon Wednesday and have no intentions of ever having it filled again.  I'm done with this worthless tool forever.  I'll contact the doctor's office on tomorrow and start the process.  Hopefully, it will work out. Thanks again.

mustangmama
on 12/7/11 12:29 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I used the legal services of Walter and Kelly Lindstrom in 2001 to fight BC/BS National PPO when they denied my lapband surgery because it was deemed "experimental" and I didn't meat the BMI requirements.

I won!!!  And it was a pleasure working with this law firm.  Check out their website:

obesitylaw.com

kimhoke
on 12/7/11 4:31 am
I submitted a request to the law firm on Sunday but haven't gotten a response.  I wrote a letter of appeal to the insurance company for reconsideration.  I also found some research studies to support my request.  I just mailed the letter today but hopefully things will work out for me.  Thank you for your support

Cheryl N.
on 12/7/11 1:32 pm - Des Moines, WA
Appeal.  submit LOTS of documents, if you still have co morbidites, mention that, submit the ama low marks of band, explain about high rate of failure, tell them it will save them money when you don't have to keep going back to fix the issues with band, such as fills, unfills, etc.

I was denied too and i appealed and won.

Often than not, they think if they deny you, you will accept it and not try again, etc its a way of saving their money...

APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

kimhoke
on 12/7/11 11:30 pm
Wow, that is very encouraging.  I hope that I'll have the same outcome.  The band is a completely wast of time and money.  Thanks for your support. 

Most Active