stomaphyx

Val A.
on 12/3/11 11:55 am - Malvern, AR
Has anyone had the stomaphyx procedure done and if so, what was it like and did it work? I'm 4 years postop open roux n y and starting to gain again.. does anyone know how much this costs?
Diminishing Dawn
on 12/3/11 11:33 pm - Windsor, Canada
Have you been scoped to see if there is an actual problem!?

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 3:02 am - San Jose, CA
Do your research.  The procedure doesn't work.  Insurance doesn't cover it, and the only benefit it to the surgeon's wallet.  You will lose about 20 lbs (and about $8K) while on the extended liquid diet - DUH! - and gain it back once you go back to eating.
Val A.
on 12/4/11 4:40 am - Malvern, AR
Thank you so much for your input. I was curious if this procedure would work. I have gained 20lbs of my loss back and started back to bad habits. I have been diagnosed with incisional wall hernia and and my pouch seems to have stretched. I wonder if this hernia could have anything to do with it. again, thanks for your input and answering my post!
 Origninal weight 330 and current weight 155, I know it's not bad but can tell I'm steadily gaining.
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 8:36 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi Val,

I doubt the incisional hernia has anything to do with weight gain. Honestly, the reason most RNY people regain is because malabsorption goes away and the body becomes extra efficient at holding on to every calorie. I had an incisional hernia which was repaired as part of my lower body lift, and I still gained after that.

If you look at past Stomaphyx and ROSE results on these boards, you'll see that Diana is correct. People lose on the liquid diet and then regain. It's sad that doctors will push this crap on people.

Gaining at the 4 year mark seems very common, so you're not alone. I got to 175, regained to the upper 190s, stayed there, and then around the 5 year mark I climbed to 221.

Monique A.
on 12/8/11 10:08 am - NY
stomaphyx
 I agree w above dont waste ur money even my original surgeon who performs stomaphyx and I didnot have pouch or stoma dilatation did not recommend it to me. ALl the studies confirm a suboptimal weight loss and it is not recommended as an a revision option for weight regained in wls patients. do some research but know that that is the natural progression of RNY after 3-4 yrs is to regain 5-10% of ewl back. THere are other options check out baraitric times and search under weight revisions if I can find my original post w link I will post it here the article in regards to options and success rates I believe its from 2009
Most Active