Anyone have revision surgery when weight gain was less than 20%?

Redhead8
on 12/1/11 12:37 pm
I had roux-en-y surgery about 5yrs ago. I have gained 18lbs back. I believe that either my pouch has been stretched or something else has happened. No matter what I do I am never full and I don't seem to be able to stop gaining weight.

I am considering surgery revision but I am concerned as my BMI is still healthy. Having said that though I have gained back almost 20% of the weight I lost and in a very short period of time.

Has anyone had revision surgery that was not considered obese again and can you detail what you went through?

Thanks!
Ladytazz
on 12/1/11 2:01 pm
Back when I had my first WLS I was told to expect a 10% to 20% bounceback after about a year or two.
Your problem will be getting your insurance company to pay for a revision unless you have a medical reason for needing one.  If there were mechanical failure or health problems.  I have heard of people who were normal BMI and even underweight having revisions because of health issues.  If you don't have any problems then you may be able to find a surgeon to perform a revision if you self pay.
If you have a revision you may want to look at a different surgery then the one you already have since you feel that it failed you.  If that is the case then the chances of that happened again are probably more likely.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Redhead8
on 12/1/11 8:18 pm
Thank you so much for your response. Can you tell me what constitutes a medical reason. For example if my pouch is dilated would that be a reason? 

How was your revision? Did you have any complications? How much weight did you gain back before your second surgery?

Ladytazz
on 12/2/11 3:03 am
You would need to find out from your insurance company what they would cover.  Some insurance companies have started a one WLS per lifetime exclusion so that no matter what you couldn't get a revision to another surgery.
Have you seen your surgeon?  That would be where I would start to see if your pouch has stretched or your stoma.  Then you can go from there.
I had regained 100 lbs when I had my revision but I didn't have my revision for that reason alone.  I was also having complications that needed to be addressed.  My revision was open, which is a more difficult surgery to recover from but no unusual complications from that, just a longer recovery time.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ItsJustBeachie
on 12/5/11 3:59 am - Middle River, MD
Is what you are experiencing "never full" or "hunger"?  The always hungry feeling can come from a reattaching of the pouch to the former stomach causing the hunger hormones to be released.

Don't let anyone tell you it's "your inability to control your eating," and force you into a nutrition program.  What MUST be done is an order for an Upper GI and a CT Scan before ANYTHING else is because without those, no one will know what the true cause of the weight gain is.

I would say more about this but I am thanking God for medical malpractice attorneys and Kuldeep Singh, MD, the brilliant, wonderful, compassionate man who fixed me.

Kaiser: Kiss my soon to be smaller BUTT LOL

Smiles,
Kate
Redhead8
on 12/5/11 7:06 am
Kate,

THANK YOU so much for your response. Yes I am always hungry, it's crazy and I just feel as though something has changed, that's how different it is.

I have an appointment at the beginning of January with my original surgeon who is wonderful. I'm just trying not to gain an exorbitant amount of weight before I see him.

Most Active