2 1/2 months post of RNY to DS and stuck at same weight for weeks....

offthewall34
on 11/26/11 6:18 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hello ladies,
I am concerned because I have had some problems losing in the past three weeks.  I have Lupus/RA/Sjogrens, and my Rheumie put me on a new medication a month ago that made me very nauseous, and it made me lose three lbs in three days, and when he took me off that medication, I was put on another medication.  Since then, I put those three lbs back on, and I haven't lost one pound since.  Weight gain is not a side effect of the medication. I have to admit though, that I haven't been eating like I probably should, but I don't feel like eating.  I usually get in my protein shakes and maybe one meal and that's it.  I am having trouble eating any other proteins (meats).  I feel sick when I eat anything heavy.  So, I don't get it.  I am eating so little and yet I am not losing?  What's the deal?  I am so sad to think that I may be done losing already after all that I have been through to have this surgery/all the complications with my Lupus etc., Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to be down 47lbs, but I need to lose another 40lbs.  Any advice/help would be so greatly appreciated!
Take care,
Deena
Paula R.
on 11/26/11 6:45 am - Portland, OR
From everything Ive heard, stalls are common with those of us who have revisions.  That and we dont seem to lose it as quickly as we did the first time around.  Plus its only been 2 1/2 months since you had surgery, so you might still be recovering.  I also know that if we arent taking in enough calories, our body puts itself into starvation mode and will hold onto every calorie you do take in with iron claws.   Do you think you are taking in enough calories per day given what you are taking in?

Ive heard people recommend drinking more water and trying to increase protien intake as a way of helping get over the stall.  Hope it works for you
My signature is in the witness protection program

offthewall34
on 11/26/11 10:40 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you for your reply, and I will try to push more protein and calories.  I know I am getting figuritively enough calories since I do take some cream for constipation, but I know that doesn't "count" since it goes right through me ;o). 
I know I don't drink enough water either.  I just feel too full all the time to eat and drink all that is required.  I don't know how everyone does it??!!??!!
Conrats on your surgery date....I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best success!
Deena
Paula R.
on 11/26/11 2:27 pm - Portland, OR
You are welcome, Deena.  And thank you so much for the kind words regarding my upcoming surgery.  They are truly appreciated.  By the way, there is a DS forum that you might be able to find more information on your particular situation or anything DS related for that matter.  Dont know if you have checked that out yet, but there is good info there.
My signature is in the witness protection program

smileyjamie72
on 12/1/11 8:51 am, edited 12/1/11 8:51 am - Palmer, AK

Deena,

Up your FAT intake!!!!  Also, as Paula mentioned, you should check out the DS forum!!!!!

Check out this link as well........

http://www.dsfacts.com/life-after-duodenal-switch.html

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**