Vertical Sleeve to Roux En Y

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 9:51 pm
* so i posted this in the Vertical Sleeve Message Board as well but thought the revision forum would probably be a better place for it....

I was just wondering if any of you have heard of someone who has had the vertical sleeve surgery turned into a roux en y? I guess the only difference would be to rearrange the intestines for malabsorption purposes for greater weight loss...
I got the sleeve done in June/2010 and have done well, but have started to feel no restriction whatsoever for this past year. I lost a lot of weight early out but I really, really worked out hard and ate super clean. I was always a larger eater right after surgery but now I am not full with 1 or 2 cups of food even if it is bulk veggies, dense protein or thick fiber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
stormechaser
on 11/26/11 3:00 am
DS on 06/08/17
I too am looking into a revision from the VSG. I am torn b/t the RNY and DS.

I have little to no restriction on most things and have gained back nearly all my weight. Its very depressing. I am actively researching the pros/cons of both surgeries as revisions. While it would make logical sense to go to the DS, I am worried about a stretched sleeve among other issues. I did see where a DS person-Melontwist, I believe-had her sleeve restapled to form a more narrow capacity. I really want to look into that option also.

My suggestion is to research as much as possible. There are some rather rabid DS supporters on here, but the ultimate decision is yours.

I am going to try some support meetings that are offered in my location to see if I can find revision people. I can look at stats all day long, but in the end, I want first hand accounts.

Good luck :)

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

shele
on 11/26/11 3:42 am

It gives me a sick belly reading that anyone would trade a normal functioning stomach for a pouch.  Please do some ressearch. 

Don't count on the intestinal portion of the rny to do much for long term success.

Much luck and happy researching!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Carmen C.
on 1/4/12 1:13 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
I am in the process right now from a sleeve and getting revised to a RNY.

I just gained allot of weight after the first year..  see my my other posts on details.

But This is my next step.. I just  had way to much weight to loose from the begining, I see this as a steping stone.

clpeltz
on 1/5/12 1:09 am
Good God...WHY?  Why when you already have the first part of the DS, would you butcher your stomach?  For what?  Some restriction and a small amount of malabsorption that will last, maybe, 18 months.  After that it is starve yourself or regain.  No life to live by my standards.  Please, for the love of God, make sure that you have explored the option of revising to the DS.  You can be resleeved during the revision if you have lost your restriction.  You have to find a vetted revision surgeon, but it can be done with much better long term outcomes.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Nunyo B.
on 1/5/12 10:14 pm
At 7:56PM on 01/05/12 LyndiaIN said:

Revision person here.  Speaking from experience, revisions SUCK!  I had the old VBG done back in 1997 and had a revision to the DS in Oct. 2007.  Because I had so much scar tissue and the band had eroded into my stomach, it was a rough surgery.  Even tho' I'm a DSer with a sleeve, my sleeve is actually dual chambered because of the island of scar tissue.  I ended being in the hospital for almost 8 weeks, couldn't eat or drink for 5 months and had a PICC line and on TPN.  Again, it SUCKED!!  

For the love of everything, please, please, PLEASE go to an experienced revision surgeon.   Revision surgeries have a much higher complication rate, and if you are one of the "lucky" ones to have complications, then you want someone experienced in your corner.  I hope all of your resear*****luded reading the revision boards, and not just the first few pages.  Keep reading and you will not see ONE DS person going for a revision the RNY. 

I read your post, I read your reasoning and I'm sorry, but I still just don't get it.  You have a DS stomach already but you want to convert it into a pouch?!!  You want to revise to a surgery that is going to butcher your stomach, remove the pyloric function, run a huge risk for strictures and ulcers, limited malabsorption that will decrease to nil over the years, and has a high percentage of regain?  For the love of everything, WHY?!!  I fought my insurance company for almost 2 years to get the DS revision covered.  They would have not batted an eye if I had wanted to be revised to the RNY, but I knew there was NO WAY I was going that route.  You are already half way there, and you want to go backwards?  I'm sorry, but it makes no sense.

I truly wish you well, and I hope it goes well for you.  But just think, if it doesn't, then what?  Will you be here in a few years asking about a third revision?  And once a sleeve is converted to a pouch, I'm pretty sure you've ended any chance of revising BACK to a sleeve, and then you'll be getting your intestines rerouted even more.  Then you'll end up with an ERNY, which is just horrible.  Ask Vitalady about it.  Or ask LadyTazz about her revision.  Her story is all over OH, and I'm pretty sure she'll tell you to rethink your choice.

But, if you want to go against all voices of reason and experience and go your own way, then I wish you all the best, and sincerely hope it works out well for you.

Good luck.

I'm beginning all of my posts with LyndiaIN said in case my account is deactivated, that way you'll still know who said this.

libbyw
on 1/5/12 9:20 am - Australia
My husband had a VSG revision to RNY 6 months ago. He did great and has finally gotten "almost" to his goal weight. He is able to eat all foods, except very sugary ones, in small amounts. It took him a while to work out how  much he could eat without consequence :-). I have an appointment with our surgeon in Feb to discuss the same revision as I've now regained 60% of what I lost post VSG. DH is VERY PLEASED with his revision.
Cookiefae
on 4/14/12 12:57 am - TX
RNY on 04/25/12
I had a VSG 2 years ago and i am abt to have a RNY.  Have you made a decision?  I would love to talk to other sleeve to RNYers!

Most Active