Revision- Question

Yass
on 11/17/11 9:53 am
Okay so I have yet another question :) - I am going in for a revision to a rny on Monday - my question is that I have my last procedure about 26 years ago - i had lost alot of weight - and then it started to creep back up- i am not sure how this procedure is going to help me lose weight - because when i try to diet - i hardly lose any weight - is something wrong with me - i am wondering if this will actually help - has anyone had the same experiences as me and now since their revision you are back to losing weight...my last procedure was stomach stapling

Ladytazz
on 11/17/11 4:13 pm
It is true that after WLS our metabolism can slow down due to the fact that our bodies adjust to eating a smaller amount of food, plus as we age our metabolism slows down, too.  
Since your first WLS looks like it was restrictive only and the RNY does have some malabsorption, at least initially, you should be able to still lose weight but the malabsorption is temporary so it is important to use the "honeymoon" period as a time to develop good eating habits.  If you feel that you already have good eating habits and you don't eat a lot now then your problem may be purely metabolic, basically your metabolism is shot from years of eating so little.  If that is the case you probably need more malabsorption, and permanent malabsorption, which you can only get with a DS.  Have you looked into a revision to the DS?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Yass
on 11/17/11 10:43 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for explaining how it works - In canada they no longer do the DS surgery or I haven't heard of anyone having it done.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 6:48 am
Dr Gagner is doing DS surgery in Canada, Montreal, I believe.

I am a revision from the stapling procedure to a DS.

I lost 110% of my excess weight albeit a little slower than some.

Michele
Yass
on 11/18/11 10:00 am
that's amazing ...I wish I had know about hm or her - I have surgery booked for Monday -Thanks for letting me know.
Yass
on 11/17/11 11:00 pm
Hi there,

My surgery was restrictive only - I didn't have malabsorption issues - I am hoping this one helps me lose the unwanted weight that has come back in the recent years.

Do you have any idea of how long the honeymoon period last - and what is the average weight lost for a revision - I know you have lost alot of weight, how much did you weight when you had your revision done. Unfortunately in Canada there is no DS available, so i am hoping the revision will help me with the weight lose and the stricture that I have.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/18/11 12:53 am
I think Husted may have been doing DS up there, but he's iffy at best. I think most Canadians have come down to the US or elsewhere to get a DS.

If you have the restrictive part, but not the malabsorption, you may not lose as well. There is a synergy with having both parts done at the same time, that is lost when they are done separately. You'll probably still lose some, but it won't be as much.

Most Active