Bypass revision - R.O.S.E. Procedure

JessyLiz
on 11/17/11 11:15 am
Hi Everyone,   I’m new to this web page/forum, and I’m desperately looking for some help and answers. I feel devastated and defeated after having my gastric bypass 3 years ago. At his point I have gained another 30lbs back and it is very difficult to loose them and I’m hungry all the time. I’m considering the ROSE procedure since my endoscopy yesterday showed an enlarged pouch and stoma. Anyone here who had the bypass revision surgery?  I need to know if my insurance (Health Net HMO; California) will cover it!!   Pleaseee, any answers/advices would be highly appreciated!   Thank! Jessy
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 12:01 pm - San Jose, CA
Don't waste your time, or money - or the pain, the starvation of a liquid diet or the angst of failing again - because the procedure doesn't work.  The only weight you will lose will be because of the liquid diet - and then you'll gain it back.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/18/11 12:43 am
 If you look back over all the posts here about Rose and Stomaphix, no one loses weight except during the liquid torture phase. Then they gain it back. Insurance doesn't cover it because it does nothing, so don't do that to your finances and your body.
JessyLiz
on 11/18/11 2:23 am
OMG! Thank you for responding and for being honest about the ROSE procedure. Is there another revision surgery that works better? if so, would insurance cover it?

Thanks!
Jessy
Paula R.
on 11/18/11 1:34 pm, edited 11/18/11 1:36 pm - Portland, OR
Your best bet if you are seeking a revision from the RNY is probably going to be the DS.  Im thinking thats probably going to be your only bet, unless Im mistaken.   Wait, forgot about the band over bypass option (aka BOB).  Im in your shoes and am looking into revision myself.  I looked at and decided the BOB wasnt a good option for me based on what I have learned about myself...and what my needs are.  So I still maintain that the best bet is with the DS, but you are of course going to have to decide what is going to be best for you.

Its a complex procedure that only a handful of surgeons in the US do.  If you are in California, there is Dr. Keshishian and Dr. Rabkin.  As for whether your insurance covers it or not, that isnt something Im knowledgable about.  You'd probably have to contact your insurance to check with them.
My signature is in the witness protection program

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 10:18 pm
Wait, forgot about the band over bypass option (aka BOB).  Im in your shoes and am looking into revision myself.  I looked at and decided the BOB wasnt a good option for me based on what I have learned about myself....

considering a good portion of those (myself included) here on this board are a revision or seeking a revision from the lapband....it amazes me when i see those seeking a BOB.

talk about the biggest waste of time & money - your better off taking diet pills.   a good glance @ the lapband forum has a few threads about phentermine & hcg to take the weight off - that the lapband won't.  
Paula R.
on 11/19/11 1:40 am - Portland, OR
Yeah, for me it came down to facing facts.  The RNY just wasnt the right tool for me and considering that there are so many banders who have to look at revising to something else because of the band either not working or causing problems.  Why put something that didnt work on top of something else that didnt work...and then have to look again at yet another revision later to fix an even bigger mess?
My signature is in the witness protection program

heathercross
on 11/19/11 9:30 am - New York, NY
 Jessy, please do your research on all options.  The BOB is an excellent solution to your problem and less invasive.  I know I will get a lot of crap from DSers but, I didn't want to go through that and having seen a friend get hacked up by a RNY to DS, I am thrilled with my decision. The BOB was a breeze, I've lost over 40lbs since the end of June and I have restriciton back!
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 8:29 pm
JessyLiz
on 11/23/11 12:29 am
Thank you all for your replies; you have no idea how helpful your advices are now that I'm looking forward to a RNY revision!

~MARINA, how do you feel by having a BOB? What are the pros  and cons of it? I'm afraid of failing again but at the same time, I also think that it is less invasive and I'll be in contact with my doctor more often as he needs to make band adjustments. Is it true that band patients are often hungry? 

~ARA AND PAULA, I love the fact of 'long lasting results' and that's what i was expecting from y RNY. After 3 years from my surgery, I've never had vitamin deficiency (except for some low vitamin D levels) and I've heard that there's a higher risk of Iron deficiency caused by the DS because of the high malabsortion. Is that something that everyone experiences? Per your surgeons, what are the pros and cons of having a DS revision?

Thank you soooo much to all!
Jessy
Most Active