2 Questions?? Answers please

Yass
on 11/14/11 12:18 am

Hi all,

I am going in for surgery next Monday - I am having a revision to ryn from (not sure what it was called back then) gastric bypass , which I had 26 years ago.

I have 2 questions

1. For thos who have had this type of revision what was your average weight lose?

2. How many of you had an open surgery vs. laperscopic  surgery? 

Ladytazz
on 11/14/11 3:25 pm
Good luck on your revision.
I can't answer for others but my revision was different from yours and I was warned that I may not lose any weight.  It is said that revisions lose slower because our metabolism has been messed with but I lost even better then my first surgery and a hell of a lot more, too much in fact.  And my revision was to reduce malabsorption.  Go figure.  
My revision was open, as are a lot it seems.  There are a few surgeons that will do a revision lap but many do it open.  It wasn't really that much different then any other surgery I have had.  I was pretty sick going into it and took a long time to recover but I probably would have taken a long time even if it had been lap.
I am sure you know this but they do the surgery a lot differently then they did even 5 years ago.  I am sure you will have a lot of success.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Yass
on 11/15/11 1:59 am
Thank you so much for your response.
jdruski
on 11/15/11 5:35 am - Philadelphia, PA

Yass

I am not in the process of revision I just stopped by looking for information.  I am only guessing but because of the years  involved you will probably be like a first timer.  I am not sure but I think 20+ years ago they called it stomach stapling.  If that be the case you will probably be like all the rest who start off and drop a lot the first 6 months.  Again guessing it will probably be open as the surgeon would want to seel all that he has to deal with. 

I am by no means an expert in this area.  Have you asked your surgeon.  He probably knows what his plan is and should share it with you.  Try and have a chat with him before you go.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Jeanne

Yass
on 11/15/11 5:58 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post - I have asked the surgeon what his plan is with me - he mentioned that he will try and do it lap if he can - but most likely it will be open as there will be alot of scar tissue.

I am very nervous - my date is next monday november 21, 2011.

Why did you stop looking?

MommyDiva2
on 11/16/11 12:37 pm
 Hi,

I'm a Revision "newbie," so I can't answer much as to the expected weight loss.  I was told that Revision patients lose more slowly and encounter more frequent and longer plateaus.  Ugh!  I lost 33 pounds in 6 weeks, and my weight loss has now STOPPED!  I know it's a plateau, but it's been almost 3 weeks with no weight loss, which is very frustrating.  I am told that exercise and water can help, but neither has done the trick for me just yet.

As for the surgery itself, I initially had an open SRVG (stomach stapling with the Ring at the top).  My revision was laproscopic!  I was so pleased that it didn't have to be open, although my surgeon informed me that it would be a possibility, depending on scar tissue, just as you were told.

Hope this helps!  Good luck to you next week!

kyutzy
on 11/22/11 8:36 am - Arlington, TX
 I had the gastroplasy (sp) in 1970 something.  It was stapling the stomach off.  Only lost 30 pounds.
I had a revision in 2008.  It was Lap.  Nothing remained of old surgery except scar tissue.  I lost 160 during the first 18 months!  I have gained some back but have discovered I have a fistula.  I feel lucky to have success this time.  
So , Yes you can lose the second time around.
Good luck.
Most Active