IV Iron Infusion Anyone??

knailnhair
on 11/14/11 3:10 am - Milford, NJ
Well I just received the call I have been unpleasantly waiting for.....my iron levels are continuing to drop. My surgeons office is now suggesting I see a Hematologist and talk about IV iron infusions. I now take 3 iron pills a day with OJ. My blood count is dropping also.

A week after my revision to bypass surgery I needed to have 4 pints of blood as I was rushed to the hospital. Released and 2 days later rushed back again and needed 1 more pint.

I'm just wondering how the people who have had the IV therapy have handled the process, how long is the actual process and if it has been successful for them.

Yes, I will ask my new doctor all of these question and I have been skimming the Net all day, just wanted some feedback from you guys....

Thanks!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

cotonmom2
on 11/14/11 8:42 am - Wichita , KS
I had iron defiency anema and required IV infusions.  Baiscally I go to the Cancer Center where I live and sit all day with those getting chemo and it takes 6-8 hrs. It's not bad just however for a week afterwards I always felt like I had the flu not all people feel this way but I did.  After a year of having these infusions about every 4 months I was then diagnosed with stage 2 uterin cancer and had a complete hysterectomy and since my surgery I haven't had to have these infusions again. 

knailnhair
on 11/14/11 10:23 pm - Milford, NJ
On November 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM Pacific Time, cotonmom2 wrote:
I had iron defiency anema and required IV infusions.  Baiscally I go to the Cancer Center where I live and sit all day with those getting chemo and it takes 6-8 hrs. It's not bad just however for a week afterwards I always felt like I had the flu not all people feel this way but I did.  After a year of having these infusions about every 4 months I was then diagnosed with stage 2 uterin cancer and had a complete hysterectomy and since my surgery I haven't had to have these infusions again. 

Oh I'm so sorry about your cancer. Did the infusions have anything to do with the cancer?

Kimi

elsa2
on 11/15/11 7:35 am - fort worth, TX
i had a few few infusions, the most was last feb, i was inpatient for 6 days. had to have a total of 6 units of blood. they now have me on liquid iron my body absorbes it better than the pills....

GOOD LUCK!!
TamaraL
on 11/15/11 10:15 am
I had 6 weeks of iron infusions.  It took 1 hour and was outpatient.  I had the Ferric Gluconate infusions.  No problems, no side effects.  My iron level went to 119. 

There are several different iron infusion solutions but i think they are all easier to do than what they used to be.

Tamara

Tammy *.
on 11/17/11 7:43 am
I went for my first IV iron infusion three weeks ago. I have never felt better. I was crunching 20 lbs of ice a day. I would even call my husband on the way home to have him get ice since my ice maker couldn't keep up.

I haven't crunched a single piece of ice in three weeks.

Some people have some muscle soreness after iron iv, but i didn't have any. I felt better and stronger immediately. I go to the cancer center and it takes about 4 hours from start to finish.

Of all the things that could be wrong with me, I consider this one to be pretty benign.

Hope all goes well for you!
knailnhair
on 11/17/11 7:57 am - Milford, NJ
On November 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, Tammy *. wrote:
I went for my first IV iron infusion three weeks ago. I have never felt better. I was crunching 20 lbs of ice a day. I would even call my husband on the way home to have him get ice since my ice maker couldn't keep up.

I haven't crunched a single piece of ice in three weeks.

Some people have some muscle soreness after iron iv, but i didn't have any. I felt better and stronger immediately. I go to the cancer center and it takes about 4 hours from start to finish.

Of all the things that could be wrong with me, I consider this one to be pretty benign.

Hope all goes well for you!
Tammy...OMG what is it with the chewing ice??? I'm going thru it light crazy!!! I literally go into withdrawal if I don't have it!!! Crazy!!!

So glad to hear you're feeling better since your infusions!!!  I was able to get an appt with a Hemotologist next Friday...I'm so excited to get started and stop being so tired and freezing cold all the time!!!!

Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Kimi

JessyLiz
on 11/17/11 8:42 am
Hi Everyone,   I’m new to this webpage/forum, and I’m desperately looking for some help and answers. I feel devastated and defeated after having my gastric bypass 3 years ago. At his point I have gained another 30lbs back and it is very difficult to loose them and I’m hungry all the time. I’m considering the ROSE procedure since my endoscopy yesterday showed an enlarged pouch and stoma. Anyone here who had the bypass revision surgery? I need to know if my insurance (Health Net HMO; California) will cover it!!   Pleaseee, any answers/advices would be highly appreciated!   Thank! Jessy
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 10:14 am
I joined yesterday and found out quickly this can be not so friendly site, some even cruel, but it is loaded with very educated and passionate members.  

I am 6 yrs post RNY and a revision scheduled on Monday.  I didn't realize I did not even know the real name of my revision until this forum and placed a call to my Dr.  I revision is called a BPD.  I will let you know next week how it goes and hopefully my journey will help you.  I am not very educated with this procedure, but know it is my only option and there is a life change ahead  of me with lots of challenges. 

I too am look for anyone that has had this type of revision.
JessyLiz
on 11/18/11 2:27 am
Hello there! Thank you for sharing you experience with me. You might be super exited about your 2nd Chance, I'm very happy for you, and YES PLEASE! let me know how it goes. So far you are the only one in the same condition as i am and of course your journey would help me to get in the right direction. God bless you and hope everything goes fine with your revision surgery!
Most Active