Any VSGers revised to RNY?

Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/11/11 11:16 am, edited 11/13/11 10:00 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Any revisions from VSGers to RNY?  Please tell me about your results.

DSers, I appreciate your help too although, I cannot get a DS cause my insurance will not pay for it.

Thanks.    

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

He who can't be Named
on 11/13/11 1:30 pm
Having a sleeve butchered into a pouch would be a shame. So many of the RNY issues are due to the disuse of the pylorus, and the man made stoma. 

If the sleeve isn't enough, and you need the help of malabsorbtion, you already have the first half of the DS, and much of the risk of revision surgery is remaking the stomach, so it would make sense to leave the stomach untouched. I think you know the DS is more effective, but undergoing an easier surgery is really worth something too. 

If it were me, and insurance wouldn't pay, I'd see how much it cost to get just the switch part done. Some surgeons have a price break for self-payers, and you only need a part of the surgery.

I have seen a few here that had a sleeve, and were considering RNY as well because that is all their insurance would cover, but a few changed their minds when so many came by and said something like "GAAAH, why would you do such a thing!?", lol. I'm hoping some will come by and chime in, as I've been wondering how they are doing.

I've been wrangling with insurance, and so far am in the same boat, with their not wanting to pay for what I want. I hope you get what you need, and have fast uneventful healing.

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/11 1:04 am - Bayonne, NJ
The malabsorption of the RNY goes away after 2-3 years, so most of the regain is due to that, not due to an enlarged pouch or stoma. People think that's the case, but then they get things like ROSE, Stomaphyx, or a BOB and they don't work, because more restriction isn't the issue.

The sleeve is a restrictive procedure. Converting it to RNY (and as a former RNY person that makes me shudder to think about, due to my own experiences) would only give you two years of malabsorption and then you'd be back in the same boat,  possibly with a new set of issues. Most revisions lose weight more slowly, so you might not make it to where you want to be before the end of the malabsorption kicks in.

If you can wait, I suggest appealing, looking for different insurance, or trying to self-pay for the switch part. I know that can be difficult, but in the long run it would be a better choice. RNY sucks. Sorry, but the long-term stats just aren't great.
clpeltz
on 11/14/11 2:43 am
Just say NO!

If your insurance will pay for one type of revision, you can often times fight to get them to pay for another type.  Do everything you can to get the DS paid for.  Appeal, appeal, appeal.  There are a couple great DSer's on here that can help you with the appeal process. 

I am a former RNYer.  Don't do it.  I'd keep the sleeve and the regain anyday over getting an RNY.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Most Active