Weight loss after revision to DS from VSG

stormechaser
on 11/9/11 1:14 pm
DS on 06/08/17
I had a great link to a site that gave information about getting a DS quite a while after a VSG. Unfortunately, I lost the link  :(        And no, its not DSfacts.

Basically, the statistics had to do with the DS when performed as a second step to VSG and the lack of weight loss that can occur. What I am looking for is anyone who has had the DS long after the VSG and how your weight loss is going.

I am getting closer to being able to get a surgical consultation and I am delving deeper into what surgery I'd like to go for. I spoke to my rheumatologist about the NSAID issue and an RNY and she was very positive about it. She told me that their were many ways to work around it which was very reassuring to me. Currently, I am pro RNY. The doctor I have in mind does all 4 major WLSs, so this is just a matter of which option is best for me. Not the "my DS is better than your RNY/Sleeve/Band" people.

So, much like the first time around, I am looking for first hand accounts as another avenue of information. It was very helpful when I was looking to get banded and then found out about slippage and the struggles so many people were having. The VSG was not a mistake for me, but I think I was always meant to have a malabsorptive procedure.

Thanks for any input except *****y and condescending self importance :)

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Ladytazz
on 11/10/11 6:15 am
If you feel that you were always meant to have a malabsorptive procedure then the RNY may not be for you.  Yes, there is malabsorption but it isn't much and is mostly gone by 1 1/2 to 2 years out, then all you have left is restriction, which doesn't seem to have worked well for you.
I have heard that having the DS in 2 stages has it's disadvantages but if you are looking for malabsorption that may be the only way to go.
Have you had any tests to see how large your sleeve is?  You may want to consider getting resleeved along with the DS.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

stormechaser
on 11/10/11 9:41 am
DS on 06/08/17
Thanks for replying!

I haven't had any follow up on my sleeve since getting it. Because of going out of the country, I suppose. I don't have insurance currently, but that is thankfully about to change.

I always blamed myself for the failure, but I am starting to wonder if there isn't more to it. Believe me, I will be getting an appointment with the bariatric department at the Cleveland Clinic as soon as my insurance cards are in my hands! :)

I am open to the DS, I am just so afraid that I won't have good results and have to undergo a third surgery. I need more information about the DS when done way after a VSG and I just  can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks again!

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Ladytazz
on 11/10/11 10:17 am
Your best bet for getting more info about having a DS long after a VSG would be on the DS forum.  I am sure there are others there who  have had that done.
It could be that your sleeve was made too large.  That is why it is important to find out how big it is now.  That way if it is too large you could get it made smaller at the same time as your revision.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active