Revision Surgery - Lap Band to RNY

Jesangel76
on 11/6/11 2:58 am
Hello! I am serously considering a revisional surgery from lap band to RNY, as I still need to lose over 80 lbs and the band is just not for me anymore.

I"ve struggled with my weight my entire life - ever since I was 8 years old. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes when I was 16 and continue to struggle with it, now at age 35. After the birth of my first child, I decided to undergo weight loss surgery, as I had a very difficult pregnancy due to the excess weight and complications with Type II and Gestational diabeties (had to take insulin shots 3-4 times a day throughout my entire pregnancy). At the time of my surgery, which was in November of 2009 I weighed 255 lbs. 3 months after surgery, I managed to lose 30 lbs. Today, I still weigh the same.

I still struggle with Diabetes, and now I also have high cholesterol. My doctor has me on two different diabetic pills and now a cholesterol pill. I suffer from depression, so on top of that I'm taking an anti-depressant.

Years ago, when the whole Atkins diet boomed, I was seeing a therapist who put me on a very LOW carb diet and I lost so much weight. but after 2 years, I gained it all back.  So, I know I can do this as I've done it before. I just need the RIGHT tool and I'm thinking the RNY is the way to go. I remember how it felt to be 150-170 lbs and it was great. Quite honestly, the best time of my life. My diabetes was practically non-existent and wasn't on any type of meds. I had so much energy and CONFIDENCE. Til this day I have no idea what triggered my downfall. In any event, I am craving that feeling of good health, energy and confidence. But most importantly, I want to set a good example for my 4-year old boy. He's got so much energy that I can barely keep up with him. 

So that's my story. Is there anyone out there who's gone through this type of revisional surgery and is willing to share? Whatever insight, feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading my story...

Jessy
azambesi
on 11/6/11 6:06 am - Milton, FL
I was banded in August 2010, lost a good amount of weight, but kept having problems with my port. After several surgeries and gaining a bunch of weight back because I never was able to get and fluid into my band, I revised to RNY on 5/16/11.

I did have some complications - strictures, etc - but I am now down almost 130 pounds and feel amazing! Best decision I could have made.

I would be happy to give more details if you would like. My advice now is to talk to your doctor. See if this is something that your doc thinks is a good idea. My experience was that most docs aren't really thrilled about the results seen with the band and are very willing to take them out.

Good Luck!

Aletheia

Jesangel76
on 11/7/11 9:02 am
Yes, I'd love to hear about your journey with the RNY. I read your profile, and our stories are very similar. I was banded in November 2009 and all I was able to lose was 30 pounds. So, RNY is going to be an option for me. Did your doc ever recommend DS? I don't know much about this surgery, but it's seems very similar to the RNY.

Did you seek outside therapy after the RNY? What complications did you go through after surgery? How much have you lost since surgery? Lots of questions! I know! :) I made an appointment with my doctor for the 28th of November and wanted to be prepared to ask the right questions when I see him.

I appreciate the feedback! 

Thanks,
Jessy
azambesi
on 11/7/11 10:34 am - Milton, FL
I don't know much about the DS, I do know that it was not an option with my insurance... If it is something that you can do, I would say to explore all of your options before making a decision.

I started my journey at 331 with the lap-band. At the time of my RNY revision, on 5/16, I was 293. I weighed in today at my 6 month follow up (9 days early) at 197! So, 6 months and 96 pounds so far with the RNY. 134 total. My doc thinks that I will probably end up around 160. I'm pretty tall, so this number sounds good to me!

I did have some troubles after surgery. I think right after, the most painful part was from removal of my port and not the RNY itself. But about 6 weeks out I developed a stricture. I know that it is a fairly common problem, but it was pretty horrible.  I wasn't able to keep ANYTHING down and was scheduled for a scope to fix the problem but got so dehydrated that I ended up in the hospital before it.  I ended up needing 2 dialations to fix the problem, but recovered quickly.

Now I am able to eat just about anything. I choose not to eat bread, rice, or pasta. I do eat some whole grains (although I'm still concentrating on protein). I still have trouble with skin on vegetables and fruits.

As for therapy, I do go to the support group at my hospital.  I continue to work on my own head because I am well aware that this IS only a tool and that I can sabotage my success. I work every day to make sure this doesn't happen. I think it happens when we forget that it can...

Overall, I am very happy with my RNY.  My father and stepmother are both RNY patients as well - both over 6 years out - and have maintained their weight loss.

Good luck at your appointment! I you have any other questions, feel free to message me.
MsBatt
on 11/6/11 11:00 am
With the health issues you mention---diabetes and high cholesterol---you owe it to yourself to research the DS. Better than 98% of diabetics who have the DS achieve complete, permanent remission, compared to only 83% who have the RNY. And the high cholesterol? With the DS, you'd only absorb 19% of the fat you eat. Most DSers eat a LOT of fat, yet have cholesterol numbers around 100.
Jesangel76
on 11/7/11 8:55 am
Thanks MsBatt. I appreciate the insight. Did you find that you lost a good amount of weight with the DS? I've just recently heard of the DS surgery, and I see you had your revision in 2003, so it's been around for quite sometime. I'm surprised my doctor doesn't offer it, but I hear it's right up there with the RNY in terms of weight loss success rate. However, I did not know that it's the best option for remission of diabetes. Thanks! I will definitely ask my doctor. I've made an appointment with him already.
MsBatt
on 11/7/11 9:39 am
Your surgeon *probably* doesn't DO the DS---there aren't a lot of surgeons who do. You can find a list of vetted DS surgeons here:www.dsfacts.com.

My DS was a 'virgin' procedure, not a revision, and I lost 170 pounds. I've had zero regain so far. One reason I chose the DS is because it has the VERY BEST long-term, maintained weight loss---better than the RNY. I wasn't diabetic, but it runs in both sides of my family so I figured it was just a matter of time. The DS is so effective in treating diabettes that surgeons in Europe have been doing the 'switch' part on NON-obese diabetics, with remarkable results!

The DS was first done in 1988, so yes, it's been around a while. (*grin*)
Most Active