Saw my surgeon today

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 11/3/11 8:30 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Saw my surgeon today and talked abought removing the band ( I have gained 50 after loss of 80 ) I wanted the sleeve and he said bypass would be better. I have always been very aposed to bypass ( sorry bypasser's) because of re-routing the intestines and not being able to access the remnant stomach. I have 2 daughters with bypass and have seen them over the past 5 years sick, tired , very low energy, and one life threatening complication.

I know I can eat around the band , is the restriction the same with the sleeve? with the band I can eat 2 bites and wait for it to go through then continue eating....and eating, would it be the same with the sleeve?

I am willing to entertain the thought of bypass , and in the back of my head I think it may be  the only one that would work.
I was thrown for a loop today when he said he felt the only one that would work was bypass.

I am 57 and looking at have to have double knee replacement if this weight doesn't come off.
Mom4Jazz
on 11/4/11 5:24 am
You can eat around the sleeve. It will take a lot longer with solid foods, but with sliders once your stomach heals you can definitely eat around it.

Your options may be counseling as regards your eating around (note this is not a slam: I had some counseling pre and post-op), or a malabsorptive surgery. Have you considered a DS? No blind stomach, it's the sleeve plus an intestinal rerouting, but it also has some downsides. None of the surgeries are without them.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

twins99
on 11/4/11 1:07 pm - Sebastian, FL
Hi there , i had a lap band di great for a yr 140 lbs down it eroded had to come out and while it caused such acid i turned to liquids and i do not mean protein drinks to fill me up , 18 months ago i had a gastric sleeve i lost 70 lbs in the first 5 months and never lost another pound im sure everyone is different but when they say you can eat 4 ounces i never felt that restrictiion i felt more restriction with the lapband. i let time go by finally i went to a top bariatric surgeon in South Florida i have tremendous gerd issues and he found a hernia in my sleeve which can happen , he stated 10% of people have this problem (fiqures me right) he said a gastric bypass will fix everything the acid , weightloss will happen again and that probably should of been my first option. We never know what to do , i just want the weight off like you do. I workmas a manager for Lane Bryant a plus size clothing store and the WL stories i hear are crazy . Just really sit back and decide what is best for you:)
Most Active