Age over 65 revision

birder I.
on 11/2/11 8:42 am - Rockford, IL

I had revision to RNY two weeks ago, plus three hernias repaired and I am just exhausted. Anyone else had this surgery old? Or really struggled with ever feeling good again. I could use encouragement.

Connie

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender/

DonnaCrosland
on 11/6/11 11:24 pm - WA
I think that it all depends on you and your body, not your age.  I am 57 and feel like I am 35!  My body is strong and I work it out daily - walks, yoga, strength training and it helps alot. Also make sure you have the right vitamens in place.  I up'd my vitamen B after surgery - on my docs advice and it really seemed to help.

Get you to a NUT and make sure you are getting the proper mix of protien, vitamens ect...and it should turn around,,.,.Also give yourself a break - that was a big surgery you just had.

Remember age is just a number - your brain is in charge of how you feel!  I know folks who are 15 years younger than me that just act old!

My advice -- put a smile on your face and go out and take a walk!  It really does work.  And don't forget to take a water bottle with ya!

Donna

SharByTheSea
on 11/11/11 3:28 am
Hi Connie....I am 69 years old and had my revision from Band/RNY last April 26, 2011, so a little over 6 months ago...am down 45 lbs...was told that my weight loss would be slower with the revision, but am so happy I made the decision  to do this.  The first three months were extremely hard for me as i experienced a lot of nausea and no energy!  But I started getting B-12 shots every 30 days, and what a difference!  Dr said I should probably have them for the first year, and maybe longer....I am doing great now and sure don't feel like I am almost 70....
Wishing you continued success on your journey to good health.
Ciao....Sharon

LapBand: 10/2004
RealizeBand: 02/2009
Revision: LapBand/RNY 04/26/2011
msdintx
on 11/26/11 4:46 am - Pflugerville, TX
Hi there - I'm 2 weeks out of having a lap band replacement with a hernia repair.  I had my first lap band 5 years ago, lost about 145 pounds, but still need to lose another 100 to have both of my knees done.  I don't remember being this tired the first time around and it's taken me the full 2 weeks to feel as if I'm operating at even 80%.  I'm 60 and feel that the extra 5 years has caused me to recoupe more slowly.  Now that I'm feeling "almost" back to where I was prior to surgery, I am now thinking of the next phase -- the weight loss -- and am hoping that this, too, won't be as slow as the recovery.  I opted for another lap band (alone) rather than have a lap band with a stomach Plication.  My surgeon was not happy as this was his recommendation, but, I feel, at 60, I really don't want to be stitching, slicing or dicing my insides.  I do think, if I were 20 years younger, I may have opted for the additional Plication -- but -- I'd rather lean toward being "safe" than sorry.  I do hope, by now, you're feeling better and have recouped to a point where you feel somewhat human again.  We're all tough cookies, but it's still humbling when the wind's taken out of your sails and you need the extra time to recover -- it's a bold reminder of where we are in our lives!  My best to you!  Dawn
Most Active