Revise band to.....another band?

mallrat
on 11/2/11 11:09 am - St Peters, MO
I am someone who did get a second band and regretted it.  I had my first band for 2 years.  I had 2 slips with that one. The second slip was so bad, I had to have emergemcy surgery to have it removed.  I wanted to get the sleeve , but at that time my insurance was mot covering the sleeve, so I went ahead and got amother bamd about 8 months after the first one was removed.   I never had good weight loss with the second band and it slipped 10 months later. By that time I was just tired of dealing with it and my insurance had started covering the sleeve.  I had my surgeons office submit for a revsion to the slleeve amd luckily I got approved.  I had my sleeve done in August 2010 anc couldnt be happier.  You get the resrtiction, biut unlike with the band, you dont  have to deal with fills, umfills, throwing up and possible slips and erosions.

I honestly think you woudl be so much happier with the sleeve.
teachkdz0507
on 11/17/11 12:42 am
Great news!  You persevered and are on your way to goal!  Best of luck!  I hope I emerge as happy as you seem to be on Dec. 27th!
prettypixels
on 11/2/11 2:04 pm
Sharon, that is amazing that you lost so much weight with the band. Is the band lifestyle something you feel comfortable and happy with and want to continue?
Nic M
on 11/2/11 3:19 pm
I had 2 bands and both damaged my guts beyond repair.

I'd never in a million years subject my body to that torture again. It causes a LOT of scar tissue to form. I have so many issues from that alone, not to mention the diaphragmatic damage, the esophageal problems, hiatal hernia, ulcers, gastritis... I'm a mess all thanks to the band.

A lot of doctors are refusing to do the lapband just for those reasons.
This is just my opinion and experience, of course.
I hope I don't sound overly harsh. I'm just trying to help with being honest.
I wish you the very best with whatever you decide.
Take care.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Thundergrrrl
on 11/6/11 3:29 pm
Hi NM,

Sorry to take this off topic but I always wonder if you suffered all of that with no warning signs? My biggest fear is that my band will malfunction and do all sorts of harm to my body without any indication. This seems unrealistic but I don't know. Do people who have lost a good deal of weight and are happy with the way they have to eat with the band and don't get stuck, PB, slime, or night cough often just find out they have terrible damage internally like that? The idea does scare me.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

drjellick
on 11/16/11 8:54 pm - Lemont Furnace, PA
I had no warning signs of my band slipping down.  Just did a UGI because it has been over a yr and they seen the slip, had all the fluid removed and now am approved for a gastric bypass.   I did great with my band though.  I am hoping I can continue to do good with the bypass.
Deanna            
Nic M
on 11/16/11 11:39 pm
I came out of the operating room damaged, Thundergrrrl. Then I had a "surgeon" *****fused to do anything to help my chronic pain situation, so I'm probably not the one to ask about this. The whole time I was banded was nonstop, neverending pain, so I definitely had warning signals. But I also had a doctor who told me it was "normal" or "in my head."

However, a good friend who has had a band for a number of years just started developing the dreaded left shoulder pain that occurs when the Vagus nerves that run through the diaphragm get damaged or irritated. Out of the blue... 4 + years after having the band. I know a lot of people see that left shoulder pain as their "stop" signal, but it's a dangerous thing. The pain is an indicator that the nerves are being irritated... and the more they get irritated, the more often they stay irritated. So, if you ever get the left shoulder pain for an extended period of time, that would be a warning signal. Or if you develop bad reflux, hiatal hernia or gastritis, those would also be something to consider warning signs.

But, like I said, I had a sub par surgeon so I was somewhat doomed right from the get-go.

Good luck to you. I hope you remain problem-free and continue with the wonderful success you've had so far. You've really done a great job. I know how much work and dedication it takes and you've done it! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Thundergrrrl
on 11/16/11 11:58 pm
Thanks NM,

I am always terribly sorry and angry to hear about situations like yours.  I knew going into it that my band might not be for life since I was 25 when I got it placed, but I definitely intended it to last me about 10 years without complications, so here's to hoping that will happen.  Thanks for the head's up on those warning signs too. So far so good in terms of all that. I don't quite understand what causes hernias...they repaired a hiatal one when I got my band in and they repaired an umbilical one when I had my plastic surgery 2 weeks ago. I never knew I had either. No pain or symptoms of any type. They were both small, according to the surgeons but I wouldn't know what to look out for if I did get another one of either type. That's what WebMD is for I guess ;)

Anyway, thanks for putting my mind at east at least a little bit. I was hoping it wasn't possible to have the kind of damage you did without any warning.  I understand there wasn't anything you could do about it but being in constant pain and all of that, well, you must have figured "something" was wrong, even if your doctor didn't listen. I will make sure to put a stop to it early if I ever do start having left shoulder pain, reflux, etc.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Most Active