Revise band to.....another band?

Sharon B.
on 11/1/11 11:52 am - Brooklyn, NY
Revision on 11/21/11 with
Has anyone been successful by replacing a band with a new band?
I have been having prob with my band for 2 years and I went to a new surgeon today. I was thinking sleeve but he convinced me to stick with the band. I need some success stories......

prettypixels
on 11/1/11 2:00 pm, edited 11/1/11 2:00 pm
All I can tell you is that I always hated my band. Maybe your experience is different. I revised to DS a week ago (which, ok, I know still makes me a brand baby noob!). But it has been so exciting to start introducing soft foods and NOT GET STUCK and not throw up and not feel PAIN at the very first bite. Personally I think everyone deserves better than a band, and a sleeve is definitely better! You might be interested in the pictures they took of my band before removing it. Kind of gruesome but if you want to see, use this link:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9UzFhFSzC6Y/TqxPFD0hDbI/AAAAAAAAAA4/1tR0YB8urAo/s512/bandofdoom01.jpg
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 9:58 pm
what are the problems you've been having the past 2 yrs?

what convinces your surgeon that another band (not knowing your current issues) will resolve that problem?

1 band was plenty enough for me; i would never consider getting a second one - especially when the sleeve is a viable option.
Sharon B.
on 11/1/11 11:45 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Revision on 11/21/11 with
I lost all my weight (90 lbs) with my band and maintained the loss for over a year.
When I had my son in Sept 2009 I sliped and since then its been a constant struggle of too tight / too lose and I gained back about 40 lbs
My surgeon seemed to be tired of bands and I didnt like the vibe I was getting.

I saw a new surgeon yesterday and he saw on a barium swallow that my band is tilted and he feels that fixing this or even replacing with another band is the way to go. he says that someone who was successful with the band will continue to be successful.

He does sleeves, he does DS he does it all and I kept pushing him that maybe I should try something else and he said in this case, band is the best option and if it doesnt work in six months he would revise me to DS

I wish I would hear from one person who was in my situation (successful until a band malfunction) and was happy they revised to another band.....

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 12:24 am, edited 11/2/11 12:25 am
the problem sharon, is that once you have a slip - your susceptible to another one.   i had two & went the last yr completely unfilled because i became so sensitive to fills.

your surgeon being tired of bands is nothing new - most are because of the failure rate of late.

you may want to cross post this to the band board, off the top of my head i think i can recall a poster or 2 that replaced a faulty band....but it's been a while & can't think i've seen any updates.

sorry for what your going thru.

Thundergrrrl
on 11/6/11 3:25 pm
You may hear from more people like this if you ask on the band board. I know several people who had malfunctioning bands or slips and stuck with the band and still love it.

On the other hand, if you were successful with the band, I don't understand why you wouldn't be successful with the sleeve and it doesn't make sense to risk another few good years followed by malfunction. I love my band but if something happens to it I believe I'd take a sleeve and avoid the potential for needing a third replacement.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 11:03 pm - NJ
Agreed with the other posters; it depends on the issues you are having.  

I wouldn't get another band, EVER.
Sexyvt123
on 11/1/11 11:16 pm
Im not sure what type of problems you have had with the band but the fact that your having problems is a good reason why you should NOT revise to another band.  I had the band in 2008 and revised to the DS this pass Sept.  It was the best decision I ever made.  The band is crap and will do nothing but harm you in the long run.  If I was you I would seek another doctor and research All of your options.  VSG,RNY and my favorite DS. 

Toya L.
on 11/2/11 3:42 am - Cleveland, OH
Hi Sharon,

Please get a second opinion regarding your revision choices.    I failed to accept my doctors offer to convert to the VSG in 2010 when I realized that the band was failing me. I rejected his offer out of fear. Subsequently, I had my port repaired and the band thoroughly inspected with no leaks located in 2010. I regret it, because I still did not lose any weight after the repair, and I could not get consistent restrictions. So, I returned to my surgeon in 2011 to have the band removed and I got the VSG. I'm three weeks post-op VSG, and I love the undeniable restriction associated with the VSG, the lap-band restrictions were totally different then the VSG. I wish that I would’ve moved forward with the VSG in 2010, I would probably be at goal now; however, I am happy to have it now. Every time I eat something, I pay close attention to my chewing, swallowing, and fullness feelings, I love it-haven’t had satiety/fullness feelings like this in my life.

~2008 Lap Band loss 60lbs & regained it. ~2010 Lap Band repaired
~
Revision to VSG 10/10/11. God is Love     

teachkdz0507
on 11/17/11 12:40 am
Thank you Tonya-
I needed to read your post! to let me know I am doing the right thing  I am revising to a sleeve on Dec. 27th.  My lapband slipped pretty early in the game(4 months in to the journey) and I have been fighting it for over a year.   I should have done something a while ago but I messed around with second opinions and stalled mostly due to fear.  I am so looking forward to restriction that is acceptable and won't send me to the bathroom everytime I put a piece of solid food in my mouth!  Good luck on reaching your goal.  We need a new name for band-to-sleeve converts.  :-)
Most Active