Need To Make A Decision : Revision From RNY to ?

Beautywithin
on 10/31/11 3:52 pm - San Jose, CA
I'm getting all sorts of mixed information about revisions from RNY.

I want a revision from RNY to ?  (Not Sure)
I want and need to lose a least 80 pounds.

As far as I know, you can get a revision from RNY to: Lap Band, ERNY & DS.
Am I missing other options?

I need to make a decision and am having a hard time deciding.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/1/11 7:23 am
The surgery with the best success rate for weight loss an maintenance, as well as resolution of co-morbidity's is the DS, but as a revision after RNY, the surgery has higher risk than a virgin surgery.

The other issue is, most doctors can't do that revision, and some who claim they will, shouldn't. There are only a handful of surgeons in the US you would want doing that surgery. One problem is, when you go to a RNY surgeon, they are usually only able to revise you to yet another type of RNY or band over RNY, which is easier for them, but poor results, and more issues for you to live with.

Going to a surgeon that isn't capable of doing all procedures is a mistake, because they only encourage you to get what they can, or are comfortable performing, which is NOT usually what will be easiest and most successful for you to live with, so pick the surgery, THEN select the surgeon. 

I suspect the losing / gaining cycle has compromised your metabolism (which many of us already had, which is why we needed surgery in the first place), and the DS is the only one that may be able to help you at this point. You should look at the surgery types and decide which would honestly be best for you, then go ask questions on that board.

Ask if there are others who have had that same revision, and how they are doing. I know there are many on the DS board who are revisions from all the other types of surgeries, and some who had several different surgeries before ending up with DS (like RNY to ERNY to DS, or band to RNY to DS, or RNY, then band over that, then DS).

The people there also know the best surgeons to go to, and which might be closest to you, but with there being so few great ones, you will most likely need to travel.

midnitegypsy
on 11/6/11 11:50 am - Lansing, MI
My RNY Surgery was in 2006 and I lost 125 pounds, but never got below 200 pounds due to a severe knee injury. About six months following the surgery I developed a hunger feeling like I never felt before.  No matter what I have tried as far as eating habits to comply with RNY eating, the hunger will not turn off.  If I have a large meal to the point I want to throw up, within the hour I am experiencing hunger pangs.  I have had 2 Sclerotherapy procedures and have managed to gain more weight each time.  My surgeon (a new doc from original surgery) wants to reverse my RNY and perform a Sleeve.  He say's it is has less complications than going to the DS and fewer long term issues.  Currently my insurance has denied my request for a revision, but we are going through the appeals process.
Most Active