Revision Surgery to RNY: Your help!

ladylion2001
on 10/28/11 7:04 am - Baltimore, MD
Hi all,

I was approved for Revision surgery after my RNY surgery.  I had my surgery back in 2004. Things went well and I lost 130 pounds which never got me down to my goal weight.  I have since gained weight (about 50 pounds).  I have quietly and without the "fan fare" of my last experience completed my 6 months and have been approved for surgery.  The called for a date and I have no idea when to do this.  I am in education and will have to take off time and don't know when.  So I guess my question is what is recovery like and has anyone  had success with this revision.
I decided that I will this time work very closely with the nutritionist (weekly if she'll have me) to ensure that I do better this time and really "WORK" this tool.  I know that there are many things that I could have done better in order to have been more successful.  So your helpful comments would be great.  :-)  Thank you in advance! 
Ladytazz
on 10/28/11 10:08 am
Depending on whether or not your revision is open it could be a bit of a recovery.  Most revisions seem to be open but I'm not sure.  If it is lap then it shouldn't be much different then your first surgery, if that was lap, too.
I had my revision open and it took quite a while to recover, but I wasn't in great shape to start with.  I wouldn't of been able to work before 6 weeks, if then.
I just wanted to let you know that like you, I decided to use the opportunity of my revision to really search myself and why my first surgery failed.  I was determined to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.  So far it's been 15 month and it's working out well.  I learned to use my surgery as a tool and not as a cure all.  I still have to do my part and eat right and not do the things I did the first time.
I felt like I had a second chance and I didn't want to blow it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ladylion2001
on 10/28/11 11:10 am - Baltimore, MD

Yes, my revision will be open as was my first surgery.  They tell me 4-6 weeks so I'm hoping 4 weeks...lol  I feel like my surgery was so long ago...I remember those first few days being rough, but the rest is a blur...I have a little one at home too so I'm thinking about the fact that I may not be able to pick him up much right after the surgery.  And of course finding the "right" time to take time off from work.  I know all of this is temporary stuff though.
Well, thank you so much for your words and encouragement as it relates to making this opportunity count.  Needed to hear that!

Thank you so so much!

Most Active