Vitamins post revision from band to rny

Sneeka D.
on 10/27/11 10:50 am - New York, NY
RNY on 02/13/12
 I have been looking at all the vitamins that post-rny people take. Of course, with the band, I have taken chewables since I have not been able to swallow any pills larger than a tic tac. So, my question is, how is swallowing whole vitamins w/ the bypass? If it is not easy, and the sugars found in most chewable vitamins can result in dumping, how do people get their vitamins in?
TamaraL
on 10/28/11 9:18 am
I took chewable centrum vitamins right after surgery  and they did not bother me.  Then I went to regular centrums with no problems.

I did chewable calcium from Twin labs for probable 4-5 months then went to citracal petites. 

I dumped extremely bad the first 4-6 months.  It has improved but still happens.  Can't say I have ever dumped from vitamins though.

Tamara

Sneeka D.
on 10/28/11 9:24 am - New York, NY
RNY on 02/13/12
 Hi Tamara,

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know you didn't dump from the vitamins. How many times a day do you take the centrums?
TamaraL
on 10/28/11 9:42 am
i took 2 chewables at the same time.  LAbs are good and I never dumped

Tamara

Annette O.
on 10/29/11 7:44 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I had the same fears going from lapband to RNY. I couldn't take any pills without throwing up with the band. I've been taking chewable centrum and have no side effects (dumping or otherwise). I chew one in the morning and one in the evening. I also am taking chewable
calcium and sublingual b-12. I have already taken tylenol for pain and was shocked I didn't
get sick and throw them back up. I was reall paranoid at first though. lapband had really
scared me about any type of pill.
Annette O
Sneeka D.
on 10/29/11 8:38 am - New York, NY
RNY on 02/13/12
 Hi Annette,

You understand exactly! I am so used to things getting stuck in the band! I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. It has alleviated my concerns a lot.

Most Active