Finally approved!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/11 12:41 am
Well I finally got the call on Monday that Anthem BCBS has approved my request for RNY (from lapband which was placed in 2002). I have an appt with APRN, RD and MD on Halloween (of all days) and a surgery date 11/15/11. I continue to have some reservations whether RNY is the right decision vs DS. I did find out that my surgeon does DS so I plan to discuss it with him on Monday. I must ask the question or I will always wonder if I made the right choice. IF (big if) I were to change to DS, I don't know how that would impact my surgery date as I would assume a whole new approval process might be required. I anticipate starting liquid diet next Tuesday and getting my pre-op EKG and lab work done. I also have an appt with a clinical social worker to work on pre-operative stress reduction. This is a new service offered by Stamford Hospital through their Integrative Health Clinic. I need it as I remain very nervous about the surgery as I have a history of pulmonary emboli x2 in the past with other surgical procedures. Despite the nervousness, I am thrilled to start the process of losing weight again. I feel confident that whatever the type of surgery, I will once again experience the success of weight loss and become a healthier wife and mom. God blessed me with a precious little boy and I will now have the opportunity to be active and involved with his childhood, teenage years and adulthood. I know that this would not be the case if I remain at the weight I am now.
Sexyvt123
on 10/27/11 1:55 am
Congrats on your approval.  Isnt it a great feeling?  If your having doubts about which surgery to get then I think you owe yourself the opportunity to look into both surgeries a lot futher.  Especially the DS surgery if your going to have a converstation with your surgeon about it.  What is the name of your surgeon because I didnt see the one you have posted on your profile on DSfacts.com.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 2:57 am
Dr. Daniel Davis at Stamford Hospital in CT is my surgeon. He lists DS on his website through the hospital (stamhealth.org)but I don't see him listed as doing DS with OH.com.

I will be discussing this option with him on Monday. I know he was against another lapband or sleeve. I wish I had understood the DS option when I first met with him. As I wrote, I have been through a bit of an ordeal with approval for the revision and I fear rocking the boat but I will not have surgery on 11/15 without asking about DS and making sure that this is not a better option. If it is necessary to put off surgery a bit longer to adjust approval for a different procedure, so be it. I just want the best chance for success. I don't want to do this again, ever.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated!!!
Toy T.
on 10/28/11 10:57 am
DS on 02/22/12
Lilbear,

Dr. Davis does not do revision to DS. He does DS as an initial DS but not if you had previous WLS. That is who I was set to go to and had a consult set up with him before SexyV posted I needed to check out Dr. Roslin in NY. I figured I was going to Stamford why not just go to NY. So if you are looking for revision to DS, Dr. Davis will not do it. 
Barb H.
on 10/29/11 5:03 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I'm impressed that Anthem approved you.  I had it in my last job and WLS was specifically excluded but you obviously have different coverage.  Fortunately, i have different insurance now which does cover it, except for DS.  Keep us posted as you progress!

Aloha,
Barb
Replacing Emoji...
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

micheleshep
on 11/17/11 9:19 am
Revision on 04/30/12
HI PLEASE EMAIL ME AT. [email protected]. I have anthem bcbs also and I want a revision from lap band also. Can u please tell me how you got approved I don't want to go thru the appeals process thank you
micheleshep
on 11/17/11 9:23 am
Revision on 04/30/12
I'm reading your blog now sorry I got the info thanks for posting
Most Active