Lap Band = Revision?

Leslie76
on 10/24/11 11:29 am - KY

I had my Lap Band surgery in Oct. 2010.  I am sooo tired of throwing up and getting "stuck".  I do not have enough restriction in my band (according to what my surgeon says I should have), yet if I get another fill, I won't be able to get down any meat.  Also I've lost no weight since the surgery (I've fallen off the diet band wagon from the stress of throwing up and getting stuck).   I'm considering having a revision to gastric bypass.  I'm terrified of failing again.  Has anyone failed with the lapband and gone on to succeed with gastric bypass.

PS  I'm glad I've finally found a forum that doesn't lash out when someone has ill words for the band.

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 1:09 pm - NJ
Well clearly you have been spending too much time on the band board then....I personally think the band should be *banned* it is a worthless piece of crap. 

I am tired, and I can't type my story again (I don't mean that meanly, I did it a few times the past couple of days).  If you click on my "latest posts" under my avitar, or go to my profile, our stories are identical but I only had my band for 8 months.

I love my RNY!  If you want to know more specific things, please ask, I love sharing my experience!
MsBatt
on 10/24/11 1:45 pm
While you still have a reasonably intact stomach, you need to research the Sleeve/VSG and the DS/duodenal switch. Both preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function---so no getting things 'stuck', and for most folks, very little throwing up. (Since the gastric bypass has a pouch with a stoma, things cna and do get 'stuck'.)

Also, the DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. And the post-op lifestyle just can't be beat! (*grin*)
Sexyvt123
on 10/25/11 1:53 am
The Band suck plain and simple.  I had it in 2008 and revised Sept 19, 2011 to the DS.  Best thing I ever did in my life.  I advise you do all your research on ALL surgery since you mention you do not want to fail again.  Since this will be your second time doing WLS you need to choose the best surgery that will give you the outcome you want.  So far I have lost 45 pds in about a month and its still falling off. 

Bo Meso
on 10/25/11 5:08 am
I am in the same situation as yourself. I am ready for a revision after trying with the lapband. I dont talk down on people that choose the lapband, but it was not right for me. Some people are successsfull with it and others are not. I think that the gastic bypass is what I am revising to from the lapband. I just see it as giving me the results that I am looking for.
Leslie76
on 10/25/11 8:21 am - KY
Thanks for the advice and support.  I have lots of new research to do ;)
Nic M
on 10/26/11 12:58 am
I know what you're talking about. The band was horrendous.

If a person is lucky, they can revise. Some of us are too damaged by the stinking band and have to opt for removal with no revision.  And that bites.

Good luck. Lash out as much as you want! There are tons of us who feel the same way! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

USAF Wife
on 10/26/11 10:53 pm
I dealt with the same issues with the band and then some more complications, and went with VSG as my revision choice for so many reasons. The number one reason being medication restrictions, and the fact I hated having a pouch. There's a lot of other reasons as well, but I couldn't be more ecstatic with my choice with VSG. Getting rid of the band was the best thing I ever did for myself and my future health. At over 2 years out, life is pretty normal, I'm 5 days away from delivering a perfectly healthy, fully-developed daughter. 

Research all the surgeries and make sure you choose the surgery you can live with for the rest of your life.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Leslie76
on 10/27/11 1:57 am - KY
congrats!  Hope the delivery goes well for you.
Most Active