Therapy after revision

Sneeka D.
on 10/22/11 11:38 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 02/13/12
 Hi all. I am 7 years post lap-band. Had a repair to a slip and hernia 4 years ago. Now am looking at revison to rny after no weight loss since the repair. Currently, f I have any restriction, I have burning GERD and can't eat solid, healthy food. I have veered toward easy to go down food (crunchy/creamy) and am worried that I will follow this same path w/ rny. I think some of the unhealthy eating is due to problems with the band and some is just the habits I have had all my life that have not gone away. I think therapy might help me get to the bottom of emotional eating. Has this been the case for others? I am committed this time to attending support groups. I never did this w/ the original surgeries since my Doctor was in another state. My new Dr. is very convenient to me so this time, distance will not be a barrier. 

Btw,  I am not a candidate for DS. My BMI has never been high enough.

Best,

Sneeka
TamaraL
on 10/23/11 3:29 am
we have a psychologist on board at my clinic and she has been very helpful.  I do believe that everyone that is having a revision should see a behavioral psychologist that is familiar with weight loss surgery or with food addictions.

You can't look at the band problems as all your fault.

Figure out why the band was not a success and what you are going to different to make the revision surgery a success and keep the weight off.  Only you can figure out what you did wrong and how you can do things differently.

For me its grazing and not getting in too many calories.

Tamara

Hislady
on 10/23/11 8:57 am - Vancouver, WA
Lots of us have had that same issue with the band so don't look at that as a failure on your part. I finally had mine emptied and it feels so good to just be able to eat good healthy food again instead of sliders just to get food in. Some counceling may help you work thru the head issues but believe me once you get the band out your eating will most likely change because you'll be able to eat real food again. Sounds like you have everything available to help you suceed this time!
Most Active