Not understanding the revision surgery. Please help me.

juicybooty2008
on 10/17/11 11:14 pm
Hi. Ive had an ulcer since Nov 24, 2010 and i had the rny April 22, 2010. I'm at 134pds. i to don't feel well. I've been told by my doc team when i have pains to go a 3 day clear liquid diet or I'm going to have diarrhea up to 2yrs cuz i had my gallbladder removed. no explains to me why i keep continuing to loose weight or why i have pains. i just had a colonoscopy and my 5th endoscope and i have 2 ulcers now. i have not exercised but maybe 2x since my surgery and the weight just keeps falling off. i don't feel well majority of the times and i don't no what to do. i eat all the time hoping to gain weight back. the more i loose the worse i feel. in 5 1/2 month i lost 90pds. since the surgery I've had 2 kidney stone operations, gallbladder removed, 5 endoscopes and a colonoscopy. That's all I can remember as of right now. I get dizzy a lot, I'm hot then cold, nauseated majority of the time, cant sleep, throw up cuz the food just sits in my throat, and i pretty much tired a lot. I had the test to see if i was going through menopause but that came out normal. I am now getting iron transfusions cuz the iron pills weren't working. I wish i never would have gotten this surgery. I don't no if i should get this reversed or not. Seem like the people who have gotten this reversed is cuz they didn't loose the weight. I'm confuses by this. Can you help me out? I was also told by another doc receptionist that there was a nerve cut that causes the dumping syndrome and that i will never get that back. has anyone ever heard of this? All i want is to feel better. I don't no who to talk to you or were to go. I am depressed all the time and just fed up with things. When do you stop loosing weight?? Would getting this reversed help me??
Sexyvt123
on 10/17/11 11:25 pm
Hi

I'm sorry to hear your are going through so much pain. I dont have the RNY but it sounds like you need to find a new Dr.  If your Dr can not give you answers on why this is happening then you need to seek help from someone else.  It sounds like your just dwindling away and that can't be good.  I hope you get help soon and things get better.

juicybooty2008
on 10/17/11 11:28 pm
thank you for replying. I live in IL and I don't no where to begin to find a new doc. I very nervous to trust anyone. Do you have any suggestions?
Sexyvt123
on 10/17/11 11:33 pm
Well first I will request a copy of all of your records from when you got your surgery.  I learn that its important to have all this paper work just in case something like this happen.  For the rest of my life I will make sure each year I request copies of my paper work from all my DR.  You would not believe how important it is to have them.  While your waiting for a copy of your paper work go on google and search for RNY surgeons in IL.  Find a couple in your area and give them a call and ask a couple of questions.  Explain to them your situation and see if they can help.  I did a quick search and found this directory and maybe it can help you start. 

http://www.healthgrades.com/bariatric-surgery-directory/il-illinois

Ladytazz
on 10/18/11 5:19 am
Yeah, you need a second opinion.  I don't have an idea what nerve they are talking about unless it's the vagus nerve, and I don't think that causes dumping.  They may have been talking about the pylorus valve, which is bypassed in the RNY so the food goes into the intestines via a stoma and that is what causes dumping and reactive hypoglycemia.
You shouldn't be having diarrea all the time, either.  Maybe you have bacterial overgrowth.  I had a real problem with that.  You can see if they will let you try Flagyl and see if that helps.  If it does then you want to be on a good probiotic to keep the bacterial balance.  It wouldn't hurt for you to take that now anyway.
If you are still losing weight it may be because you have a more distal bypass.  Have you seen your operative report to see what they did?
Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Hislady
on 10/18/11 6:38 am - Vancouver, WA
Definately find a new doc who will treat you! It might be a little difficult but don't give up! None of these things should be going on and you need to find out why. Best of luck to you, keep plugging along!
MsBatt
on 10/18/11 3:00 pm
I suggest you talk with a surgeon who specializes in revisions. If you get a complete reversal, you most likely will regain the weight you lost, maybe even more.

Complete reversals are VERY rare---and they're not done because someone DIDN'T lose weight.
Most Active