Band to What?

JodiGirl
on 10/12/11 9:30 am - CA
I am trying to decide which may be the best option for me. This band is just not working. I am scared to make a drastic change inside my body, however I know I need to make some change
What A Exciting Journey This Is~ 
JodiGirl   

7_5_1411.gif picture by morbid2thebone
Yehuda G.
on 10/12/11 10:29 am
You can revise to any surgery you want. If you're looking for the least drastic and just a restrictive surgery, then the sleeve would probably be your best option.
VeraWalker
on 10/12/11 12:20 pm - Whiteville, NC
I am also looking at a revision.  My body is rejecting the band.  I have had to have the port replaced once because of scar tissue. I have run a low grade fever for 3 years because of rejection so my only reall choice is RYN. 

Good Luck with whatever you decied to do.

Vera
Vera  LapBand 8/12/2008

clpeltz
on 10/12/11 1:23 pm
There are FOUR types of WLS, so RNY is NOT your only REAL choice.  You can revise to DS, Sleeve or RNY.  I am a RNY to DS revision.  To the OP...make sure that you research ALL three.  Choose the surgery that you want and THEN pick your surgeon.  It is a tough spot to be in.  We don't go into WLS expecting to have to go under the knife again in a few years.  I am sorry that you are having to deal with this.  Good luck on  your journey!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MsBatt
on 10/13/11 12:43 am
Vera, you started out with a BMI of 60. This indicates a very slow metabolism. I really think the DS would be a far better choice for you than the RNY., because it actually CURES a slow metabolism. It does NOT rely on restriction, as the other three surgeries do---it actually fixes what's broken.
Amy_Kleve
on 10/12/11 10:16 pm - Adrian, MN
I had the crap-band for 4 miserable years. It never helped me loose weight. It never failed mechanically. I revised from band to DS. Thank goodness I did, because I found out after surgery the band was growing into my stomach and liver!!!!
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Sexyvt123
on 10/12/11 11:32 pm
I also had the crapband for 3 years and it did not work for me.  This coming Monday will make me 1 month post of revision from lapand to DS and its the best choice I ever made.  When I first pick the Lapand I felt like I did not want to mess up my insides doing something so drastic but thats exactly what the stupid lapband did.  I had too much weight to lose to have ever consider the lapband.  I gues in life  you live and you learn.  Thank God for second chances because as of today im am almost 40pds down. 

Holly O.
on 10/13/11 7:41 am - FL
I had the lapband for almost 5 years and 4 months ago revised to the RNY..............never have looked back.  I had so many problems with the band...........zero problems with the RNY.  Do your research, talk with your dr. and choose what is best for you, so glad I had my revision!!  Down 60 lbs. in 4 months............couldn't be happier!!
   Holly                                      
Hislady
on 10/13/11 3:13 pm - Vancouver, WA
I'm another lucky recipient of the crap band and I've decided to have the sleeve when and if I ever get the ability to revise. Just my personal opinion of not wanting to have a big change of my internal organs and the fact that I have to take blood thinners and most surgeons don't want to cut too much on me because of that. I agree with the others tho research all 4 surgeries and make your decision based on what you are comfortable with!
USAF Wife
on 10/15/11 9:38 pm
Definitely research ALL of the surgery types. I revised over 2 years ago from the band to VSG. I've had amazing success, live a very normal life, enjoy life post-op, and honestly, I do not miss my big stomach. I did not want or need malabsorption, or the lifestyle requirements of either the RNY or DS. If I would have needed malabsorption, DS would have been my choice. RNY was never on the table.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact me privately. Peruse all the surgery specific forums. There are lots of us band to VSG revisioners who hang out on the VSG main forum because it's where we feel comfortable, and have found great support.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active