Can't hold down liquids

Suzanne H.
on 10/9/11 12:40 pm - Warminster, PA
Did anyone else have a hard time holding down liquids but not food after revision?  My doctor did not touch my stomach so I am baffled as to why I can't eat a great deal at one time & forget liquids most of the time.  I can't even tolerate a sip if I eat something.
Annette O.
on 10/10/11 1:54 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. First off what kind of revision did you have?
Second, your last sentence says you "can't tolerate a sip if I eat something". Does that mean
your trying to drink while you eat?
Third you said the Dr. didn't touch your stomach, what kind of WLS doesn't involve the
Stomach?
We share a revision date so hopefullywe can help each other.
best of luck to you
Annette O
Suzanne H.
on 10/10/11 3:16 am - Warminster, PA
I had RNY to distal bypass.  This does not touch your stomach, only your intestions.  The reason why you will see everyone being so negative about it and say to go for DS which does the distal bypass plus revises your stomach.

Finally, no I don't try to do both at the same time.  Trying to figure out what works best for me, to eat first, drink first & how long I need to wait in between.  The magic number of drink 1/2 hour before I eat isn't working for me because I get indigestion when I drink.  Drinking a 1/2 hour after I eat makes me sick to my stomach.  If I drink any sooner than that, instant vomit.

I am back to work today so I am trying to keep it simple, and so far not so bad. I had a half cup of water before I left the house, 2 eggs with a piece of cheese of for breakfast.  I had a full cup of water and hour later.  I got indigestion but not so bad. I had string cheese & pepperoni for my snack.  I waited 45 minutes & had 2 gulps (not sips) of water. BAD IDEA.  I got sick but only slightly.  I just had tuna fish with a little bit of mayo in a light whole tortilla.  I will have an orange in a little bit. I have Edamame for my second snack. I will have a half piece of chicken and green beans for dinner. I will have either grapefruit or a small water ice if I am hungry later. I will do my best to fit as much water in as possible.  Likely it will be 2 cups if I am lucky. This is not enough but it is where I am now.

I am happy for you that you too had revision surgery.  I wish you the best of luck.  I am here if you ever want an ear to listen.  I will not offer much advice unless you directly ask me because I don't care for unsolicated opinions myself because I find most people just don't know what they are talking about.  lol

I can tell by your questions that you never heard of or just aren't aware of how the type of revision I had works.  I can tell you most people on here don't like what I had.  I know as far as eating goes, I have to eat protein, protein & more protein, throw in some fruit & vegetables & limit my carbs if I want to have greater success.  My body will not absorb fat or high sugars, hopefully deterring me from wanting too many. I also have many vitamins that I should be taking, but honestly I am only taking half of them so far but plan to get the rest this week.
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 4:53 am
aren't your worried about dehydration with 2 cups maybe of water?

Suzanne H.
on 10/10/11 7:56 am - Warminster, PA
Yes, very concerned about hydration.  This is the reason I am trying every combination I can think of to get some liquids in.  I was dehydrated last week and was put in the hospital.  I am not nearly as bad as that right now but no where I need to be yet either.  I have an appointment in a week.  I am hoping there is major improvement by then or I have a feeling I will have to go back in the hospital or at the very least be sent home with an IV & have tests done until they figure out what is going on.

I posted my message in hopes that someone else experienced what I am so they can help me through this.  I am hoping this is fixed without surgery.  Me being the doctor I am not, I am thinking 2 things, excess scar tissue is in the way or hiatal hernia.  Either way if this is the case, this will have to fix itself shortly are it will have to be "fixed".
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/10/11 6:14 am - Tuvalu

Regrdless of the type of surgery, hydration is always more important than everything else.

Suzanne H.
on 10/10/11 7:59 am - Warminster, PA
I agree, hydration has to be  a top priority.
Most Active