Is the band removed during a revision?

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 12:17 am
I have not had a chance to read many post so I apologize if this is a commonly asked question. I am scheduled for RNY after having a lapband since 2002 and gaining much of my weight back. Is it common for the surgeon to remove the band or leave it in place? My surgeon said he will make that decision when he does the actual procedure. I guess it depends on the amount of scar tissue around the band? Any feed back is appreciated.

TamaraL
on 10/8/11 1:41 am
Most of the time THe DR removes the band.  I would not have wanted my band to stay in with the problems I had had.

when I had my revision there was someone here that had the bypass and the band stayed in.  My band hated me.  I got to the point I was going to remove it myself or the surgeon was going to remove it.  THe surgeon won!!  LOL

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 4:44 am
I think I am in the same boat, Tamara. I would love the damn thing out of me but I also worry about how difficult it will be to remove it. I would love to not have any more opportunity for the docs to knick an internal organ while they are prying the band away from my stomach. I guess I will just have faith in the doctor's(I am having surgery in a teaching hospital so it will be the bariatric surgeon and a bunch of surgical residents in the OR...a whole 'nother issue to discuss another time). Thanks for the feedback!
FLJeepGirl
on 10/8/11 11:20 am
As prior poster stated, most of the time the band is removed.  There was no question for me, as I was having complications from the band.  Removing it was the only option,

Keep in mind that there is a higher rate of complications on revisions.  My surgeon believed the entire surgery would take 45 minutes.  However, it took almost three hours due to difficulty removing my port and band.  The port was due to my first surgeon being a moron and stitching it to my rib (took an hour), however the other took a while to remove as well - which was probably due to scar tissue.

Due to the actualy RNY surgery the band had to be removed...I can't imagine why you would keep it?  I know each surgeon has his/her own way and comfortable surgery practices.

Good luck to you :-)
Caryn W.
on 10/8/11 12:21 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I had mine removed on Sept. 7th...i had had the band since Feb 2004. I was worried about scar tissue also. But...i am glad they got rid of it. As I had suffered from Chronic reflux that caused me to get Barretts Esophagus, and a Hiatal hernia.  Since you have had the band that long...i would assume they would remove it...and make sure you had good usable stomach tissue to go ahead and do the RNY. Of couse they do not really know that, until they get in there...that was what my doctor said...which my goal was to just have the darn band removed...but because my esophageal scaring...and cancer scare...he was not gonna let me leave without the RNY..to save what is left of my esophagus!

It will all work out in the end...good luck!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/10/11 4:25 am - Tuvalu

The band, in place, is here:

And the RnY looks ike this:

I think it would be rare to find a patient in whom the band COULD be left in place while the surgeon was cutting and stapling around it.

My band is in a baggie in my closet.
pandavenise
on 10/11/11 2:40 am
 I Just had a revison Oct 3rd from Lap band to RNY and when he went in he said he did not expect to find what he found. I had an extreme amount of scar tissuse around my band. He cut and removed the scar tissue removed the band and did my RNY. he said my stomach was quite thin. I had my post op yesterday and have lost 10 pounds and feel great. It feels so good to have that band out. I started on portien shakes this morning and am having no nausa or any ohter problems I am following the program to the tee. I feel this is the best decision I have made. I have 70 lbs to lose  so I didn't want to do the ds and my insurance would not cover the sleeve. 
EnviousOfAngels
on 10/19/11 7:13 pm
I asked my surgeon the same question, he is adamant the band will come out when I get revised to the RNY. He said that there isnt anything to "hold the band" due to the stomach being smooth from the RNY, which means it will most likely slip. He did admit everyone is different, but that mine was coming out, he didnt feel comfortable leaving it in. He did my band surgery also and I trust him. Good luck! =) You'll do great.

Most Active