New member considering revision - HELP!

Shari S.
on 10/5/11 4:52 am - Loganville, GA
Hi! 

I got my Lapband 1.5 yrs ago, and lost really well for 3 months (50 lbs), then haven't lost since.  The past 6 months or so I've gained 10 lbs, even though I work really hard to stick to the eating guidelines, and am working ou****rainer 3X week.  As of a couple of weeks ago, ALL my co-morbidities have returned (diabetes, high BP, slightly high cholesterol, and triglycerides thru the roof).  I'm seriously considering a revision (GS or Plication, I don't know). 

I have several questions:
        - I only have about 65-70 lbs to lose and am concerned that a GS or GP won't help much.  A DS sounds like a better fit, but hardly anyone performs them, so I'm wondering why not?

If I go to a surgeon over the boarder?:
        - what about follow-up care? 
        - What if you have complications that don't show up for a while?
        - Isn't it dangerous to fly so soon after surgery (risk of blood clots)?

I'd like to move forward with a plan ASAP.  The timing is perfect as I recently took my company's early retirement option and have a few months before starting a new job.

Thanks!  - Shari

Shari        
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 6:59 am - Bayonne, NJ
The plication isn't a good option. Much like rose or stomaphyx, people who have it seem to lose for a bit, then not lose, then they regain. There are a lot of doctor-sponsored messageboards where people cheerlead for the plication, but other sites and studies show that it's not all that great.

Many doctors don't perform the DS because it's a harder, longer surgery and the reimbursement rate is the same. The DS is, however, the best way to keep off most of the weight. If you decide to go to Mexico for a DS, go to Ungson. No one else. Seriously. I don't care what anyone else posts on here, listen to me, listen to the DS board members. None of the others are safe when it comes to the DS.

If you're not losing, even though you're following the diet and you're exercising, it's a metabolic issue. The plication doesn't do anything for your metabolism, just like the band didn't do anything for your metabolism. You need some sort of malabsorption.

I had plastic surgery in Mexico. I coordinated things with my PCP, and even though my DS revision was in-state, I never get down to see Dr. Greenbaum, so I again coordinate all follow-up through Dr. Hanify.  I waited over a week before flying back, and I would think that with a DS you'd probably have to wait longer. 

I wish you well in your research.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/5/11 9:15 am
Bailey covered most stuff like DS just being more training and less money for surgeons, but I just want to add that I had my DS outside the US, and it hasn't been a problem. My pcp does all the ordering of blood work and writes up the lab slips. She is even willing to forward all results to my surgeon, but honestly, I just needed a good cutter, and was done with him after that. I keep him in the loop with information, but it's mostly because he likes to know how his past patients are doing.

If I were to have complications, I'd go to the nearest emergency, regardless of where my surgeon is. 

You would be wise to look closely at the DS, as it would address your issues better than the other surgeries (particularly diabetes and cholesterol/triglycerides). I have a genetic issue that runs on my moms side that gives us ridiculously high cholesterol (like 500) no matter what our diet is, so the DS is the only way I had a chance to get near normal numbers (at 140 now, and it's the first time EVER, in my life to be under 200).

Gastric plication is a waste of time/money. 

DonnaCrosland
on 10/6/11 6:41 am - WA

It's great you are researching and looking at options.  I just revsed from a band to a sleeve (on Monday) so I can't give you much advice on how it's going - but the surgery was great.  I went with the sleeve on advice of my doctor and think it will be a great solution.

Keep researching - I went to Mexico and love it hear...let me know if you have questions.

Donna

smileyjamie72
on 10/6/11 7:42 am - Palmer, AK

Shari,

You should also post this over on the lightweights board!!!!!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

Good LUCK!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

pandavenise
on 10/11/11 5:25 am
 I had the band for two years and only lost 30 pounds to gain back 20 of it. My insurance didn't cover the sleeve  so I got RNY on Oct  3rd . I am home and doing great. Couldn't be happier. Because I wanted to lose about 80 pounds I thought I would like RNY instead of DS. I have lost 10 pounds my first week. If I am right DS is better for higher BMI.Good luck
Shari S.
on 10/13/11 1:09 pm - Loganville, GA
Thanks all!!  After discussing my options at length w/ my band surgeon, I've decided to go with the sleeve.  I'm booked for surgery 11/15 w/ Dr. Ortiz in Mexico.

Thanks everyone for your support and input!  It's so great to have a place to go where people understand!

- Shari

Shari        
Most Active