Small Bowel Resection

javoanta2
on 10/3/11 8:09 am
 I went to my doctor due to the fact i have been gaining weight and not feeling well 5 yrs after my surgery.He did a scope and today called to set me up with a surgery date for small bowel resestion,he said my bmi is 1.8 away from Tricare requirement for a revision but this surgery may help me lose weight and may not.He aslo explained that I did have some englargement.I then asked well what if I gained weight and he said I never tell paitents to do that.I feel mas though I need the small bowel and the nrevision and i would rather go under the knife once.Any thoughts?
Caryn W.
on 10/11/11 7:52 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Where did you see this doctor...was he at a Military facility, considering you said Tricare that is why I am asking. The small bowel resection is he referring to the section that is attached to your Stoma, from a possible RNY surgery, you didnt mention what surgery you had, so I am guess. If he is referring to that part of your bowel...it has stretched. The opening of the re-routed bowel with the RNY can stretch out and allow food to pass thru the stoma at a faster rate leaving you almost always hungry...if that happens you will gain weight. The revision of the small bowel may fix everything....

I hope this helps...
Caryn
javoanta2
on 10/11/11 11:03 pm
Thanks for replying..I went and seen my surgeon who did the surgery in 2006,I just recently got married and his insurance is Tricare and mines is BcBs. I wasnt sure about his decision to do that surgery over the revision seeing my bmi is 34.1 and another doctor looked over my test results recommend I do a revision to the sleeve and sent me for a gi x-ray got results back and still recommends revision over resection because there is no gurantee I will lose weight with resection.Tricare covers revision but not the sleeve. My other issue is I know my doctor who performed the emt and this new doctor I don't and my family says I should go with my doctor who did the surgery as he knows me and knows his work.I'm schedule for the resection Monday @ 7.Just hope I'm making right decision..
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 12:11 am
On October 12, 2011 at 6:03 AM Pacific Time, javoanta2 wrote:
Thanks for replying..I went and seen my surgeon who did the surgery in 2006,I just recently got married and his insurance is Tricare and mines is BcBs. I wasnt sure about his decision to do that surgery over the revision seeing my bmi is 34.1 and another doctor looked over my test results recommend I do a revision to the sleeve and sent me for a gi x-ray got results back and still recommends revision over resection because there is no gurantee I will lose weight with resection.Tricare covers revision but not the sleeve. My other issue is I know my doctor who performed the emt and this new doctor I don't and my family says I should go with my doctor who did the surgery as he knows me and knows his work.I'm schedule for the resection Monday @ 7.Just hope I'm making right decision..
People get revised from RNY to both Sleeves and /or a DS (whi*****ludes a sleeve).  What that does is eliminate problems of a pouch and stoma.  It puts your stomach back to original and then cuts off the portion of the stomach and you end up with a stomach similar to a banana with your pyloric valve back in and working.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  I just wanted to correct the other poster that said RNY cannot be revised to a sleeve because it most certainly can and is done frequently with Rnyer's that revise to the DS.

Caryn W.
on 10/11/11 11:52 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I agree with your family..as your DOCTOR knows his own work. You didn't answer if your original surgery was a RNY...or what. If you had the RNY...you can not have the sleeve.    I just had a revisioin from the BAND to  RNY...and  I was kinda worried about having a NEW doctor work on me.
javoanta2
on 10/12/11 2:04 am
Sorry my surgery was a lap rny and I'm going with my original surgeon and the small bowel resection. I think he knows what is best or atleast I hope this is the right surgery for me verses the revision.
Most Active