Hi, I'm new here

grammylew
on 10/1/11 10:24 pm - Jacksonville, NC
Good morning. I have recently had a revision from Lapband to a sleeve.
I got my band in 2007 in Mexico. Dr. Ortiz was my surgeon. My insurance would not pay for it because I had no co-morbidities. I lost 125 pounds over 2 years and loved my band. Then in September 2009, I went in to have a routine gallbladder removal because my gallstones had been acting up. They found adinosquamus cancer in my gallbladder. After liver resection they had to place an NG tube down my throat and subsequently had to unfill my band. All of my oncologists said I would lose my appetite during chemo and radiation and they wanted me to eat to keep me strong. Well, I never lost my appetite, but I did keep eating. I couldn't get a fill untill I was done with all the treatment. When I did go back for a fill I could never get to my "sweet spot" like I had before. I had numerous fills and unfills by 3 different doctors. Some of them didn't seem to know what the heck they were doing. I wound up with a leak in my tubing and it would have cost $2000 for Dr. Ortiz to fix it. Then I would be back to trying to get a perfect fill again. Soooo, I decided on the sleeve. At first I thought of plication, but because they were removing my band at the same time I would have had to go back a couple more times to be 'tightened'. No thanks. I just wanted to be done. So here I am with a brand new sleeve.
So far I think it is working great. I have only had it 2 weeks and I am still on full liquids. But, I am having diarhea after almost every meal. Has anyone else experienced this with the sleeve? If so, when did it stop?
I am usulaay on the Ovef 50 Forum because I am, but I thought I would check here to see if there are other band to sleeve people going through the same thing?
Thanks.

Grammylew in Jax

Ladytazz
on 10/2/11 5:34 am
I didn't have a sleeve but I remember having diarrhea for a few weeks after my revision.  Someone said it was common because the intestines were messed with.  Don't know if that would be the same with a sleeve but being on liquids may cause it, too.  Nothing solid going in.  Mine stopped right at 2 weeks.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Hislady
on 10/2/11 10:17 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi Grammy I remember you from the band board. I'm assuning you are still on mostly liquids since you are only 2 weeks out. Even with the band most of us have diarhea while on the fluids, good ol' "liquid in, liquid out syndrome". Also some folks develop lactose intolerence after surgeries especially stomach surgeries, just because is is still raw and healing. If that is the case Lactaid has some tasty chewable tablets that work great for me. I seem to have developed the lactose problem myself. It should clear up on it's own soon, just remember to stay well hydrated even if it means more "runs". You might give your doc a call just to double check. Good luck with your new baby sleeve, it seems to be a very successful surgery!!
TamaraL
on 10/2/11 10:18 am
Grammylew

I remember you from the lap band forum!!

I would post this on the sleeve forum also. They should be able to give you a pretty quick response. 

I hate that you had to have the band removed but I think you will be much happier with the sleeve!! 

You have sure been thru a lot.!!!

Tamara

Most Active