Curious if anybody here has gained weight back after vertical sleeve surgery

de1977
on 2/24/13 8:59 pm

Sadly, I had my sleeve done in December of 2008, lost about 90 pounds and regained all but 10 of them in a period of about 1 year (began last year in January). I am not eating major junk food, exercise twice weekly, etc. I am doing the same things I did to maintain my weight for the initial 3 years after the sleeve. The sleeve was AWESOME for the first three years. I felt great, no hunger, etc. Then out of nowhere, major hunger began. I am hungry now most of the time. I can also eat a lot more. I am not sure that the sleeve was the best surgery for me. Maybe I should have tried the gastric bypass. I just don't have any answers anymore and am feeling pretty depressed. If this didn't work, not sure what I am supposed to do. Res-leeve maybe? 

MsBatt
on 2/25/13 12:20 am

Re-Sleeving is an option, but it's rather risky, especially if the new staple line would need to cross the old staple line. This greatly increases the possibility of leaks.

A less-risky option would be to add the intestinal bypass, or 'Switch', giving yourself a full DS (duodenal switch.) (The Sleeve is the stomach portion of the DS, the intestinal switch provides permanent malabsorption of calories.) The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/25/13 9:18 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I had my VSG in 2009.  Lost 35 lbs and gained about 20 lbs.  I'm interest in the DS right now.  I don't know if BCBS Federal will approve my revision but I'm going to find out on Wednesday.  The VSG gives you restriction only.  I needed something more.  The DS is better than the RNY because there is no dumping, long lasting weight loss more than just 2 years like the RNY gives you.  There are more reasons.  I'm new at this.  I'm sure the vet DSers will chime in and give you more info.  

Best wishes to you!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/13 9:41 am - New York, NY

There is only one true way to weight loss success whether you opt for surgery or not and that is lifestyle change.  Self control is a limited commodity.  It must be used wisely.  Our lives have enough stress and then to add more can bring us quickly to our breaking point.  You must only make small changes that you are comfortable with so as not to change them back.  Once these changes become natural habits of your life you can add more.  Don't focus on the end result.  Every day you stick with the plan is a victory.  When relapse happens, and it will, you just pick up where you left off.  This is not an all or nothing process.  You will have good days and bad.  Eventually the good days will out number the bad and you will see a new person in the mirror.  

The more activity in your life and eventually more exercise the more you get to eat.  That means more good stuff going into your body to make you healthy.

My name is Matt.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

Have a great day.

Mzmary31
on 11/25/13 1:14 am

I had the vertical band in 2009 I lost 130lbs and since then gained 100 back I don't know what to do or where to go I really need to get this weight back off of me. My dr suggested to revise it and I don't know what I'm going to do.

aok
on 9/3/15 5:57 pm

When this happens, it can be caused by the SHAPE of the stomach that the surgeon leaves. My doc and his partner in over 1200 surgeries have never had an enlargement of a previous VSG. They also create their RNY pouch in the same shape. Its worth looking into when you interview your surgeon…. 

Most Active