ring with RNY

Hislady
on 9/28/11 1:12 pm - Vancouver, WA
Chocolate, while I haven't had some of the life threatening issues others have had like emergency revisions because of the band eroding into the stomach!! I have had a miserable time with it and have only lost 20 lbs in the 4 years since I've had it! So it was a total waste of my time and money, even tho I had ins. I still had to pay some. First of all I never lost my feeling of hunger it was there just the same as before surgery. Second I was never able to get a good restriction level, was always either too tight or too loose. The most weight is usually lost in the first year and after that not so much. Once I was 3 years out I started feeling tighter and tighter even without a fill! After having to pay $225 twice for partial unfills I gave up and had them take out all my fluid. So here I am 4 years out and no better off than when I started!!! The really serious problems seem to start at 2-3 years out and besides what I encountered, there are also the possibilities of slips, erosions and then if the band is too tight you end up spitting up all the time. Also heartburn is a big issue too. It is just not what the manufacturers claim it is and the docs just buy what they tell them. My own surgeon doesn't even like doing them anymore because of the ineffectiveness of it. They prefer to do the VSG or vertical sleeve gastrectomy as it is far more effective.
There is also the issue of if you lose your current insurance or are self pay you end up having to pay for fills and any band related issues such as another surgery because of damage. That is if they can revise you because the band causes serious scar tissue under and around the band. It just IS NOT what it is supposed to be. It is the slowest and least effective surgery of the 4 major WLS. So I hope you show her this and give her something to think about. I wouldn't wish the band on satan himself!
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 10:16 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I had an RNY with a band around my stoma - a permanent, silastic ring that formed a vbg over the rny. It's the reason I had my revision!!!! I couldn't eat normally, I threw everything up and it caused esophageal erosion. Based on my experience, and the experiences listed by the fobi pouch people and the band over bypass people, I'd avoid any sort of band with rny.

Most regain with rny is becasue the malabsorption goes away, not because people are suddenly packing in the food.
pandavenise
on 10/1/11 12:25 am
 Thanks so much everyone for your information. I will probably not get the ring.
Most Active