ring with RNY

pandavenise
on 9/28/11 3:21 am
 I am having a revision from the band to RNY Oct 3rd and the PA asked me if I wanted my DR to put a ring around my RNY . It is suppose to keep you from streching out. Anyone hear of this or had it done. It kind of freaked me out because of the whole issue of things sticking with the band.
Yehuda G.
on 9/28/11 6:31 am
Yes, this procedure is called a fobi pouch aka a vertical bypass with silastic ring.

I had this procedure done nearly 2 years ago, and it caused me horrible complications. Not only does this procedure have the same risks of dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia that standard RNY patients have, but you will be at much higher risk of developing dietary complications, vomiting, nausea and reflux. These complications happen with the RNY, but are more prevalent with the fobi pouch due to the way the stomach is bypassed.

I hate to say this a few days away from your surgery date, but I have to say that I would strongly discourage you from having this procedure. If you want to be revised to a gastric bypass, then the standard RNY would be better, IMO.
notagain
on 9/28/11 6:44 am
I would double check with your sugeons office to be sure of what they are asking you. It almost sounds like a VBG if you ask me. It's your body so I would ask questions left and right with them!!
~KRIS
Band - 1/28/2008,  Revision - 9/16/2011, Ht - 5'9 
HW-335/Band SW-310/ Revision SW-285/CW-236

pandavenise
on 9/28/11 8:40 am
 I watched a video of it and it looked like a ring that is placed at the top of the pouch kind of like a lap band. I am checking into it more. 
Hislady
on 9/28/11 9:06 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I have a band and I wouldn't let anyone near me that wants to band anything! The band is a horrible thing to have to live with! Just say NO!
pandavenise
on 9/28/11 9:13 am
 I have the lapband too getting revised to rny. I hate it too. This is something different. . It goes around the top of the opening at the top of your pouch. I watched a video on utube. I don't think I will do it . I hate the band so much that it sounds like the band too much.
Ladytazz
on 9/28/11 3:10 pm
I am confused.  It goes around the top of the pouch?  I thought the problem was the stoma stretching at the bottom of the pouch, where the intestines are connected to it.  I would think if it were at the top that would cause the same issues as a stricture.
In any case I would just say no.  If it were all that it is cracked up to be I am sure more surgeons would be doing it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pandavenise
on 10/1/11 10:13 am
 I am not sure I will find out Monday . The PA showed it to me on my preop.  I am thinking anything like a band or ring NO.
Toy T.
on 9/28/11 11:11 am
DS on 02/22/12
 You ladies and gents are so knowledgable. I know it is off topic but what exactly do you hate about the band? My bff is getting her's done in 2 weeks and no matter how much I try to persuade her its not a good surgery she just wont listen. 
MsBatt
on 9/28/11 12:55 pm
Most Active