band erosion

Kathy R.
on 9/25/11 10:16 am
I will see my doctor on Wednesday but the endoscopy showed something which looks like the pictures on the internet of band that has eroded into the stomach.  Anyone have this happen and did you have it removed?  Can they remove it like they put it in or do they have to make a large incision in the stomach?
plp1988
on 9/25/11 11:59 am
I have never expereniced that,  but I just wanted to say I am praying for you that they do not have to make a large incision,

Hislady
on 9/25/11 12:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
Don't know for sure but I would think they could do it laprascopically like putting it in. Best of luck to you.
airbender
on 9/25/11 7:24 pm
if the band has eroded into the stomach tissue that is a medical emergency and would have to be removed immediately, and can be done lap (unless there are other issues, that warrant open) with a band that eroded you will not be able to revise to another procedure till you are healed, everyone is different but about 6 months explant...good luck to you
pauliegirl69
on 9/27/11 2:17 am - NJ
My band eroded also, it was half in and half out of my stomach. I had no pain. They caught it when i went for a fill...crazy i know..I had to have it removed (lap)..mine was not a screaming emergency...but my dr got things thru insurance pretty quickly. I had to wait 12 months. And then I had My DS surgery...I wish DS first surgery and did waste time on the lapband...LIVE and learn. Best of Luck to you.
Kathy R.
on 9/27/11 3:55 am
 I have always had problems but the nurse really couldn't figure out what was wrong.  But I could eat regular food, slowly and sometimes it would stay down, sometimes it wouldn't.  Then I could eat some soup (plain liquid) and it would not go down.  And it was becoming more and more a problem.  I was self-paid for the lapband.  Wonder if my insurance will cover it having it removed since it may be a problem?

airbender
on 9/27/11 6:08 am
sounds like you are over-restricted/slip,   you need a barium swallow to diagnose that.  over-restriction can be fixed by having the saline removed, a slip ususally will return, when the  saline has been removed when an attempt to fill starts as any pressure ususally makes another slip.    depending on your insurance, if there is an issue that can be fixed without surgical intervention (band deflation) that is what will be done first.  lap band removal can be a medical emergency depending on cir****tances, hence removal would be paid, revision is a very very different question...especially if you have  a one time bariatric clause......good luck to you
DonnaCrosland
on 9/27/11 12:12 pm - WA
I had my band removed in July - they did a lap procedure.  It was a piece of cake - my band had slipped not eroded...Sometimes I think they can't really tell until they get into it...The little incisions are almost healed and they will go back into them for the sleeve surgery - plus one or two more pokes..

I was self pay so I can't address the insurance issue - but I know my insurance would not cover the removal -I did ask.

My doc does a package deal to remove the band and do a revision - even if it takes two surgeries...he is great that way.

Good luck.

Donna
Most Active