Blood Sugar

Caryn W.
on 9/25/11 3:32 am - Las Vegas, NV
My blood sugar has been going crazy since I had this surgery. Everything I eat is making me nauseated, and giving me the sweats...and just completely exhausting me. After I eat anything...I basically SHUT DOWN for 1 to 4 hours.
I have been checking my blood sugar since the first episode of this...
Hislady
on 9/25/11 12:06 pm - Vancouver, WA

You really need to see a doctor because I've been on the band forum for over 4 yrs and have never seen this, So it may or may not be band related but I really doubt it. By the way like how you spell your name, I spelled mine that way 40 yrs ago!

Caryn W.
on 9/25/11 12:22 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I don't have the band anymore...I had a revision on Sept. 7th. to the RNY. So..this is completely new to me. 
MsBatt
on 9/25/11 1:05 pm
Reactive hypoglycemia?
airbender
on 9/25/11 7:29 pm
exactly what I was thinking, pyloric value bypassed, not uncommon with RNY
Caryn W.
on 9/25/11 2:21 pm - Las Vegas, NV
It's actually sky rocketing out of control...after I eat anything other than just solid protein. So...I am back on my shakes...until i feel safe eating chicken or anything else for that matter. If i eat anything other than protein shakes...i don't feel safe leaving the house, becuase of how this is effecting me. Scary!
Ramie A.
on 9/26/11 4:48 am - Bronx, New York, NY
I had band-to-RNY on 8/17/11.  Before surgery, I was taking about 35 units of humalog a day plus 15 units of Lantus.   After surgery my BS was higher than I had anticipated.  Any carbs at all and it would shoot up to 200+.  After pure protein meals it was around 165.  I called my endocrinologist and she recommended I take 10 units of Lantus but to avoid the humalog. 

I'm six weeks out and I'm still taking the Lantus and getting good morning (80-ish) and protein-only meal sugars (125-ish).  But if I have any bready carbs (e.g. oatmeal) then it shoots up to 200+ again.  In those few cases, I have given myself 2 or 3 units of humalog.  Mostly I'm just avoiding the carbs.

Eventually I hope to be able to switch to just an oral medication and eat limited carbs. 

Talk to your endocrinologist for help keeping your sugar under control while you are losing weight.  After RNY our metabolism changes and it can be pretty unpredictable to give yourself insulin.

Good luck!
Ramie A.
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

Caryn W.
on 9/26/11 5:52 am - Las Vegas, NV
Ramie,
  I was not on insulin prior to surgery....but i did receive injections while in the hospital...so apparently my sugar was crazy. I have decided to just avoid the carbs all together...and just stick to protein...i guess my body is not ready for all these changes. 
 How has your weight loss been....slower than the normal person with the RNY? I have read that revisions lose slower. I have decided not to weigh myself....
thanks for the advice.
Caryn
Ramie A.
on 9/27/11 10:16 am - Bronx, New York, NY

I am very happy with my weight loss.  I lost about 10-12 lbs in the two weeks after surgery, and about 2-3 lbs a week since then.  I think my lower pounds loss has more to do with me being a lightweight than being a revision.  Although, I have heard that band-to-RNY do lose slower, perhaps because we can tolerate putting lots of food into the upper part of the stomach, which is kept after RNY.  But that is my speculation.

Regarding your blood sugar levels, be sure to check every morning for a week or two to make sure that it is staying below 120.  If it's higher than that in the morning, then you definitely need to see an endocrinologist.  (My PCP was useless when it came to helping me manage my diabetes.)  Your blood sugar levels were probably fairly out of control before surgery, even if you didn't monitor all that often.

Your body IS READY for changes!  As you weigh less, your blood sugar should stabilize.  Still, monitoring and keeping a written record for your doc is key to determining how it should be treated.  

Good luck to you!

Ramie A. 

Ramie A.
on 9/27/11 10:25 am - Bronx, New York, NY
One more thing Caryn,
Be sure to update your surgery to Revision or RNY and the date!  It's in the profile pages somewhere.
Best,
Ramie

Most Active