Wow never thought I would be back here

DonnaCrosland
on 9/25/11 6:35 am - WA
Great thread.  When I talked to my doc - he (wise man that he is) said - the band (which is what I had) like any other procedure where you put a device into your body - can have problems down the road - either from your body figuring out how it works and bypassing it (my band slipped and pouch enlarged) or other issues. 

He said - the thing to do is to try and work with what you have and if it continues to fail - do what you did the first time - take action and fix the problem.

I lost my band in July - get a sleeve on Oct 3rd - and am very excited.  I didn't do to bad - I lost 170 lbs with my band - gained back 50 - but have lost 10 now with the pre-surgery diet...

The important thing is to "get back on the horse" and take care of yourself.  The band or what ever procedure you had is a tool - and if that tool doesn't work - get a different one...

Keep in touch and let us know how it is going.

Donna
Toy T.
on 9/25/11 8:14 am
DS on 02/22/12
 Thanks Donna,

I really don't want the band bc I have seen too many people have complications from it especially when they need to get it filled but I will see what the doctor says and if I can't find one that agrees with what I want then I guess I will have to find another one. 
DonnaCrosland
on 9/25/11 12:21 pm - WA
I have to agree with you about the band.  Although I loved my band - there were always issues with trying to get fills as I was a self pay and had it done in Mexico.  And I have heard of more failures with the band than any other procedure (but then again I was looking for them - so that's probably not a fair statement).

I don't know what your options are but I am sure there are docs that do.  When I decided to go with a sleeve this time - I did ask the doc what my revision options would be if this surgery failed eventually - and there are several options.  I would never have thought of that when I got my band - I thought it would last forever...

Donna
Frankie
on 9/25/11 11:03 pm - NY
Hey Chocolate Toy, you are not a failure.  I had RNY in December 2004 and lost 122 lbs and had a baby in 2009 prior to my pregnancy I kept bouncing back with 10-15 lbs.  My pregnancy went well and I gained 80lbs and lost 40lbs of it afterwards.  Then I noticed that I could eat more and I wasn't satisfied.  I have gained 80lbs ofthe 122lbs I lost.  I went back to the basics and kicked up the exercising, I noticed that I wasn't losing any weight.

I started my revision journey back in April and today I am scheduled for my revision of RNY to DS.  Remember you are not a failure and your surgery has failed you.  Consult a few doctors and see what your choices are.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Frankie

Sexyvt123
on 9/26/11 12:08 am
Hi Chocolate

As everyone else said on this post, it isn't your fault and you did not fail.  I did not have the RNY but I did have the lapband that did not work.  After 3 years of fighting with my weight I decided on a revision.  I decided to go with the DS with Dr Roslin which was done a week ago.  I see that you live in CT and I think you should go to dsfacts and make an appt with Dr Roslin.  A 100 pounds is a lot to loose and you want to make sure you pick the right decision so you wont have to do this a third time.  Please do all of you research before deciding and pick the best revision surgery for you.  Good Luck on you journey. 

Vonett

Toy T.
on 9/26/11 8:12 am
DS on 02/22/12
I just looked it up and he is covered under my insurance so I will call in the morning bc I had made an appt to convert to band. How long was the process and what was the requirements you had to go through to get it, if you don't mine me asking?
Sexyvt123
on 9/26/11 9:45 am
Hey Chocalate

Whatever you do please do not get the band.  That crap is a waste of time.  Everything with easy and simple minus my insurance company.  They gave me hell just to get approve because they felt I didnt work hard enought to loose weight.  In the end I was approved and now I am revised. 

Toy T.
on 9/26/11 9:51 am
DS on 02/22/12
 I signed up for his seminar at Northern Westchester Hospital bc that is closer to me than NY, NY. Insurance may be a pain for me bc they will cover revision if I show I am just not getting it bc I didn't follow plan and stretched my pouch but I have busted my behind since beginning of this year and all I do is continue to go up and up; good thing my height hides a lot of it. 
Michelle F.
on 9/27/11 5:26 am
Dr. Roslin is simply the best in the tristate area, especially at revisions.  He revised me from band to sleeve and I hit goal in less than 6 months.  Please don't consider the band, it really causes more problems than it's worth, and from anyone I know who has had the ROSE or Stomaphyx, they are a waste of time and money.  

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Toy T.
on 9/27/11 7:50 am
DS on 02/22/12
 Hi Michelle,

That is so good to hear bc I decided to go with him. I had signed up for seminary in the Mt Kisco office and called this morning to see if I instead need to go to the NYC one and they told me since I already had surgery and was getting revision I was not required to go to seminar so I made a consult appt for 10/20. SexyV was the one who advised me about Dr. Roslin since I am in the CT area. I was only looking at CT docs but since I am in CT my insurance covers NY bc some people live there and work in the state so one good thing about working for the state. I already received my op note and d/c report but I am waiting for my original surgeon to send me the tx and f/u notes. They keep telling me they have 30 days but I will call them in 2 weeks and ask if they can expedite it. How is your revision going?
Most Active