Wow never thought I would be back here

Toy T.
on 9/25/11 2:28 am
DS on 02/22/12
Hi all,

I had Roux - en Y surgery in 11/2004 lost over 100 lbs but now it is almost all back so I am considering revision surgery bc for the lastyear I have been trying it on my own and getting nowhere. I felt like a failure and just thought I didn't do anything right but now I see a lot of people are having same issues with me. I have looked around for doctors in regards to perfoming surgery bc insurance does cover it if it is medically necessary; which in this case it is bc my PCOS has come back full force, I have also managed to pick up high cholesterol, HTN, and arthritis, along with constant back pain. My question is I see many converting over to the type of surgery I initially had but what are my options? Can I get another Roux-en-Y? Or do I have to get the band over the bypass. My insurance doesn't cover the ROSE or Stomphyx  so those are out. I am most interested in sleeve and wonders how exactly this would help. I am not looking to lose over 100 pounds again but my fertility doctor wants me down or they won't let me have another IUI or a IVF. 

Thanks in advance, 
edeldog13
on 9/25/11 4:15 am - MO
PLEASE don't consider that you failed. It was the surgery that failed you. Check into the DS for your revision. Come over to the DS board and post. There are a lot of revisions to DS over there.
Best of luck with what ever revision you choose.
Toy T.
on 9/25/11 8:09 am
DS on 02/22/12
 IM considereding a surgeon but I do not think he does the DS revision. How do I find one in my area that does?
clpeltz
on 9/25/11 12:12 pm
Hi Chocolate!  Revision surgeons, especially RNY to DS surgeons are rare.  There are literally only a handful that can do it in the US.  You will most likely have to travel if you want this.  The DS has the best results in weight loss and keeping it off long term.  There are a couple of surgeons in CA, Rabkin and Keshishian.  Dr. Henry Buchwald in MN.  There are a few more that I am sure someone will chime in with.  Good luck on your decision.  And, please, don't blame yourself.  I am a RNY to DS revision.  The RNY was not right for me and did not work for me.  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

sandy_mt
on 9/25/11 1:06 pm
 Dr. Roslin in NYC did mine.  He is an excellent surgeon and is familiar with all procedures.  I believe he is the closest one to you in CT.  Maybe you should start with a consult with him and see what he recommends.  

Good luck to you!

Sandy

Gail P.
on 9/25/11 5:17 am - Lakeland, FL
Everyone gains some weight back after a few years.  So do not give up.  Or beat yourself up it does nt help you.   Is your pouch still small?  do you get full fast,  do you graze?  Do you drink between meals.
It is a Tool.  You still have it.  It will work for you.
If your pouch is so big you never get full at one sitting  ,then maybe It can be corrected.  

The Rny is the best surgery for success ,  You still have you pouch to work with. . My guess a revision to Rny conversion to DS and make your pouch smaller.  Revisions are not guaranteed either.

However I know of a good friend who had Rny in 1989 , She had revision in 1990 after only losing 60 pounds.  She lost very little with revision.  She had small pouch  but would graze all day, could not seem to stop the grazing.  

What does your Rny Doctor say?  I would definately test your pouch and go from there.
Good luck whatever you do. 
Toy T.
on 9/25/11 8:11 am
DS on 02/22/12
 I feel as if my pouch isn't even there anything. I drink water all day and I do get full fast but thats not helping with weight loss. I exercise reguarly: walking, ellipitical, dancing, zumba, etc... it will come off for a few lbs and I will gain even more back. 
camietam
on 9/25/11 6:30 am - Ceres , CA
I never thought I would be back too. You are not a failure and neither am I. I also gained with my Lap-Band and now I need a revision to sleeve or RNY. I am hear reading and trying to make a good decision. Good luck.
Camie

Toy T.
on 9/25/11 8:12 am
DS on 02/22/12
 Thanks. I am at yor stage in the game as well. I used to be like ohhh my clothes getting tight let me do some exercise and good eating and I would be fine but ever since I turned 30 that is no more. Good luck with whatever decision you make. 
Barb H.
on 9/27/11 8:10 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
 I'm right there with you.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active