Band to sleeve scheduled! Need advice!

emmajean
on 9/24/11 6:03 am
I am having a revision surgery scheduled for Jnauary (my Doc has to shcedule 4 months out!) - wi**** could be sooner.  I've had loads of trouble with the band, but still managed to lose 65 pounds (with 35 more to go to reach goal)  Anyhoo...I want to hear the good and bad about switching for those who have already done it!!  Please!!  Thanks!
Hislady
on 9/24/11 8:28 am - Vancouver, WA
You'll get more responses on the sleeve forum.
emmajean
on 9/24/11 11:33 am
THANKS!!
DonnaCrosland
on 9/24/11 1:35 pm - WA
HI there,

I had my band for about 7 years and then it slipped.  I went in for a revision to sleeve in July and due to stomach condition - had the band out but no sleeve.  Going in Oct 3rd for my sleeve - boy am I ready.  I have been really "good" and not gained any weight - in fact down 10 lbs on the pre-surgery diet...and now on liquids...so hopefully another 10 before surgery.  I only had about 50 lbs to lose - so very excited to get this off before and then be able to work the sleeve and get to goal again...

Make sure you have a solid doc who has done lots of revisions...and you will be fine!

Donna
emmajean
on 9/27/11 7:05 am
Donna - thanks so much for your response.  I have no fill in my band right now (to help relieve my reflux) so I am struggling a bit with eating!!  UGH!  I appreciate your input and wish you the best!!  October 3rd!!  Good luck!

Kind regards...
Michelle F.
on 9/27/11 5:49 am
I had my band for almost 3 years, had 2 slips and major esophageal dysmotility.  I revised to the sleeve this past March and hit goal in less than 6 months.  I have been taking Prilosec twice a day to help the esophagus and it's healing well...I'm now weaning down to once a day and no reflux anymore thankfully.  I'm still losing and I can actually eat healthy foods again, I couldn't eat most solid protein with the band.  The sleeve is everything the band was supposed to be but wasn't.

Make sure your surgeon is very experienced in revisions, the band causes a lot of scar tissue around the stomach and as long as your surgeon is experienced you will come thru well. 

Good luck!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

emmajean
on 9/27/11 7:02 am
Thank you for your reply and detail.  I have had the band for 4 years and it's caused nothing but trouble!  Although I have lost weight (65 pounds with 35 more to go to goal) I've had terrible reflux and my pouch continues to dilate if I go past a certain fill point.  So I can't get filled to restriction any more and am without any restriction.  My reflux is getting better but I'm ready for the sleeve. 

Thanks so much for your input! I genuinely appreciate it!!

Kind regards...
DonnaCrosland
on 9/27/11 12:04 pm - WA

@EmmaJean - I hear you with the unfill - I had that several times trying to save my band - but in the end lost it.  It was amazing how different it feels with no band - you still have some restriction even with no fill - the hunger monsters come back full force when it's gone.

I have been doing okay - struggling with trying not to gain weight - did gain about 10 lbs but they are gone now with the pre-surgery diet...(can't believe I get my sleeve in 6 days).

So here's a question for anyone who had a lower BMI - and less than 50 lbs to lose with a revision.

Did the weight come off quickly or was it a bit harder to lose due to lower bmi?  What was experience different with a lower BMI?  When I had my band I was 170lbs over weight and I lost it all within 18 months...I'm wondering if a lower BMI will slow down the weight loss?

Any experiences with this - appreciate all comments...(can ya tell I am getting a bit nervous)...

Donna

Most Active