Confused

bobo05
on 9/23/11 7:25 am
OK now I am really scared, I thought I did research. Dr. states he does not do the other surgeries because they are do risky. After reading all the post from today and yesterday I am really confused adn scared. All one know a good surgery in Jacksonville, FL that does the right revision??? I looked at some post on Jacksonville Dr but has anyone used a Jax Dr?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/23/11 3:53 pm
Well, there are different kinds of revisions, and have to say upfront that I am biased to the DS, because I feel it's a superior WLS in so many ways. 

That aside, you would be better of doing nothing than getting the JIB. Please don't allow that under any cir****tances. I had read it wasn't even done any longer because most who had it had either been revised, or died. I'm horrified you found a surgeon that will perform it. And I wouldn't, under any cir****tances allow the pyloric valve to be cut off, as that will seal your fate with any revision chances in the future.

Many surgeons will "revise" you to another type of RNY, which will just be more malabsorption, and will leave your pouch alone (distal RNY vs proximal RNY). The problem is, many of the RNY issues are because of that pouch, so leaving it, and then giving more malabsorption only makes matters worse, in that you will need more supplementing and protein, but will be less able to absorb it without a pyloric valve on your stomach, and less intestine. Many of the issues like dumping, reactive hypoglycemia and regain are because of the man made stoma being in place of your pyloric valve. 

The other "revision" surgeries that are around, are useless, such as rose and stomafix. They aren't covered by insurance because of that.

There are very few surgeons in the world, and only a few in the US that can do a surgery that will restore a RNY pouch back to a fully functioning stomach, whether it's to revise to a DS, sleeve, or even back to nothing. And you will have to travel to them. 

You may want to come to the DS board with questions as well. There are some of the best informed folks on this site over there, and many other surgery types come there for help on labs, supplements and such. There are also some "hybrid" folks that have surgeries that don't fit perfectly into other categories here, that are often some type of revision.

While I'm not in the medical field, and not even one of the more informed people around here, I'd be happy to talk to you about any of this via phone. If you pm me I'll give you my number. Regardless of what you do for surgery, would you at least say you will not continue with this JIB butcher?

bobo05
on 9/24/11 12:52 pm
I am calling my primary Dr to see them and go over the UGI with him and see if he can explain the issues with me clearly and refer me to a gastrci surgeon Dr in Jacksonville, Fl. I lived in Ocala for 25 years that is where I got my RNY done back in 05 Dr Jawad and he did a great job. I have always gone with the idea "when in doubt do nothing". I hope to get an appt with my primary soon next week. Thanks for all the help. I can see I do not know enough to go through with the Pre OP and surgery.
Most Active