Weight gain following surgery??

oi4me2day
on 9/11/11 11:28 pm
I had a revision from RNY 2 weeks ago.  I understand weight loss won't be as rapid as the 1st surgery, but I gained 15 lbs. !!!!!  It's taken me 2 weeks to get that off and pray I'm on the road to losing now.  Anyone else experience that much of a weight gain directly after surgery???
sandy_mt
on 9/12/11 12:16 am
 Yes, most of us have had that following surgery.  It's just all the fluids that you were given and who knows what else.  I weighed myself while I was walking the hospital floors following my revision and I had gained 18 pounds.  I remember not really being able to pee completely until about a week after the surgery.  I think everything was swollen inside and putting pressure on my bladder making it smaller (like when pregnant).  Don't worry-that's not real weight.  

Sandy

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 4:16 am

I had a revision 6 weeks ago.  On the day of my revision I weight 154 lbs.  When I came home from the hospital I was weighing 162.  The weight gain is only temporary and it's all fluid.  Good luck.

Sherline

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 5:02 pm, edited 9/13/11 5:03 pm
Scales lie. Don't trust them. 

One thing I found helpful, back when I first had my RNY and was losing weight, was to use ketone strips. Just buy the strips at any pharmacy, and pee on one everyday. It shows you if you're in ketosis or not. When your body is burning fat, ketones are the end product. So, it follows that, if you are in ketosis, your body is burning fat.

It's like getting a window into what exactly is going on in your body. There will be times when you'll stall. That's normal. But sometimes you'll actually be burning fat during a stall. With the strips, you can see that, and it's reassuring. 

If you're like me, and you really want some numbers to hang onto, then weigh yourself just once a week, and no more. Do it on the same day each week, in the morning, after using the bathroom. That way you'll get some accuracy. 

Oh, and keep in mind that your period will drop you out of ketosis faster than...well, I don't know what. Just remember that our hormones insist on ruining everything two weeks out of every month. Not a problem. Life does go on. And the weight does come off. 

Umm, I'm assuming you're female. If not, disregard the whole "period ruins ketosis" advice. But do remember that we women are crazy for two weeks out of every month.  We can't help it. It's God's fault. 

One more thing. You can cut the strips in half lengthwise, and that way get double the strips for your money. 

Good luck, 

Lynda
Most Active