BCBS requirements for revision or tune up?

rgreathouse
on 9/11/11 2:32 am
 I originally had a open RNY in 2002 with BCBS Community Blue without any insurance difficulties however I stopped working for that previous employer in 2007 but now am with a employer who will be offering the same Community Blue plan. I am waiting for paperwork on plan details to verify there is no exclusion for obesity treatment but if that isn't a problem what do they normally require to have a evaluation for mechanical failure in which a revision or tune up could be done. Medicaid has a policy that only 1 lifetime surgical benefit be covered and even if Medicaid didn't pay for it - they don't cover revision, at least Health Plan of Michigan. In the past Sclerotherapy got me back down after pregnancy however I just had my 3rd pregnancy since RNY and I had Sclero after the other 2. Normally they never will consider doing it a 3rd time. My BMI is at 35 and havn't had my comorbs return and don't want to wait until that happens.
sknd34
on 9/12/11 3:29 am - West Fargo, ND
Good Luck. My insurance is through BCBS of North Dakota and they have the clause of 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime. I finally just ended my fight with BCBS and am finding another route of payment. I worked at it for close to 10 months only to end after 5 attempts. I wish you well.
Steph
TamaraL
on 9/12/11 8:26 pm
Hopefully you insurance does not have a wls exclusion and does not have a 1 WLS per lifetime.

I don't think that medicaid will pay for it.  They are getting really strict and do not want to even cover the surgery in most states. 

rgreathouse
on 9/13/11 3:43 am
I did get a chance to see the plan details of coverage and it is like my original that I had in 2002-  It does not have a exclusion stated on it however it did not specifically say wls was covered  either. It just covers the part of medical necessity bieng covered 80% by a network provider. It is always the possiblity that they do the preexisting conditon crap to. The wierd thing is when I had BCBS before even the medicaid picked up the copay, maybe by luck.  Just really confused about whether I should look into it or just accept where I am at and keep doing the basic tools. Not a option without insurance however. Thanks
Most Active