band removal

sknd34
on 9/9/11 3:36 am, edited 9/9/11 3:37 am - West Fargo, ND
Once again I was denied coverage for revision, so I am looking at having my band taken out. I have had 3 episodes in the last two weeks of vomiting and this last one last 2 complete days. It started on this last Tuesday and I'm not fully recovered from it yet on Friday. I am looking to see if someone internally at work can reverse the insurance company decision since we are a selffunded policy. If there isn't anyone that can do this, I am looking at having the band taken out. I have had nothing but trouble with it for over 1 1/2 years now.  

For those that had it taken out, how is recovery? How long were you out of work? How long until you could workout at the gym again? and did it require an overnight stay?

Any help is appreciated. I just got the news 30 minutes ago, so still upset over it.
Steph

PS: For those that don't know, this has been my 5th request for coverage for revision. They have agreed to cover the removal, but not the revision. We have been working on this for approximately 10 months.
Sharon G.
on 9/9/11 4:45 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 I had to have emergency surgery to remove my band as well, it was done the first week of Auguse, recovery was only a few day, I feel so much better now...But Im looking into having something else put back in, my surgeon who took it out refuses to put something back he, he said he wouldn't do it ethically because Im a size 4-6...He said the only way he would do it was to have my BMU up again...Im so pissed off, I gained 10 pounds already and feel so horriable...I am now looking to go to another dr. to see if they would put it back in...I don't think im going to get a band again, im looking at the sleeve...I hope this helped you...Good luck, contact me if you need anything...

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 5:38 am
i think it's unethical to make you gain your weight all back to consider a revision.

my BMI is well below 30 & my surgeon is revising me after i have a 6/8 wk wait to recover from h pylori / IBS issues.

find another dr.

Sharon G.
on 9/11/11 11:31 am - Middlesex County, NJ
Where do you live....What state...Who is your doctor...Please... 

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 5:42 am
i live in TX - dallas/ftw

i probably should have mentioned that i was self pay for my band back in 07' - my bmi wasn't yet 30 so, i didn't qualify.    changed insurance & they cover once per lifetime WLS and that's what i'm taking advantage of right now.

my band is coming out on thurs & because of some issues, i have to wait to revise - which is not what neither my surgeon or i want...but i have to clear up an infection in my colon and rest the tummy.

i wish you well - hard to get around that once per lifetime clause......reason many are preaching that those new researching WLS know about this specific "gotcha"

Sharon G.
on 9/12/11 6:14 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 FYI,
   Called my doctor today who took the band out, I told him how miserable I am and that I'm gaining weight back, I told him I have to do something, I want the sleeve...He stopped and thought, and finally told me to come in on Thursday...i said please don't waite my time or your time if your not going to do something for me...He said come in and we will figure this out.....I'm hoping he will do the surgery, I really like him...Best od luck and I will let you know what happens...

shelliwi
on 9/9/11 7:19 am - Sheldon, WI
I agree with the previous poster. Get another doctor. You shouldn't have to gain your weight back to get a revision. I'm having my band taken out and the sleeve done on Sept 20th. My insurance approved it in less than 2 weeks. I'm 10# over my goal at this point. I would hate to think about gaining all my weigh back before getting the sleeve. How depressing that would be.
Good luck to you.

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

Sharon G.
on 9/11/11 11:33 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 Please let me know how the sleeve is, Im so curious about it.... Best of luck to you....

sknd34
on 9/9/11 12:15 pm - West Fargo, ND
I am no where near goal....I initially lost about 75 pounds of my 115 pounds, but have gained back about 35 pounds. I found out today, that there is a possibility that the hospital I work at and the hospital that does the surgery might be able to negotiate part of the fee of surgery. I will have to finance part of it, but at least a revision still may happen.
My only other question right now is  that how does follow-up care play into this. Does insurance cover it or is it self pay since insurance didn't cover the surgery?
camietam
on 9/25/11 9:15 am - Ceres , CA
I work at a hospital and we are self funded thru Interplan, but I was thinking of another option. Since the insurance is going to cover the removal that is considered the 1st cpt code then the second procedure is considered 2nd cpt code which is reduced 50% of the hospital contract rate. It will cost you some money, but less than cash rate also will add a little extra time for the anesthesiologist. If you think about it the Laparoscopic equipment is already there in place then 30 more minuets for the second procedure. I think it will be worth negotiating the rate. Anyways something to think about if it works. Good luck.
Camie

Most Active