RNY to Distal Gastric Bypass (not as happy)

Suzanne H.
on 9/7/11 11:33 pm - Warminster, PA
I really appreciate everyone's advice.  Dr. Greenbaum was recommended to me by anothe bariatric surgeon.  I have been told by that doctor and others that he is one of the best on the east coast.  I do know I would be more likely to have complications since my RNY was done open vs. someone who was not.  I have a 2 & 3 year old to think about too.  There is a part of me that wishes that I could have the A+.  However 5 hour operation vs 1.5 hour is something to think about.  I also feel I need to trust my doctor.  I did based on our conversation and other doctor's opinions. 

I voiced my concerns to Dr. Greenbaum in an email at 1:30 in the morning.  He personally called me by 9 am that morning.  If that doesn't instill trust!  He did not try to force his way as the only way to go.  He even recommended another doctor if I chose to go for the DS.  I also know from researching that there are different methods to doing the distal.  The measurements Dr. G is using have not been used by anyone else.  He himself has only been doing it this way for 6 months on 8 patients.  So far the 3 patients that were done 6 months ago have each lost 50+ lbs. It is expected that at 6 months you have lost 50% of what you are going to lose.  My true goal in my mind was to lose 125 lbs.  So I see this as a possibility comparing myself to the 3 people before me.  (Other 5 are newer than 6 months)  Dr. G told me to expect 75 lbs.  So that will be my first goal, but definately don't want to stop there.

The fact that my pouch issue won't be fixed is a good thing to me.  My pouch doesn't allow me to eat rice, limits pasta, hot flashes after chocolate, these are all good things to me.  The only other thing it does which I don't like is, it has made me somewhat lactose intolerant.  I can't eat icecream or drink milk, but at least I can still eat cheese.

Hopefully I will be able to change some of the peoples minds about distal with my results.  At the very least, I know I will lose my diabetes, high blood pressure & sleep apnea because they were all gone the 1st time, so there will be no reason why they won't go away again. Thank you for your support.
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 5:50 am
Suzanne H.
on 9/8/11 9:54 am - Warminster, PA
SH,
I hear ya.  Yes he did tell me he can not tell me how much I will lose.  He can only tell me what he expects.  He said he could do the same exact operation on 2 different people who eat the same food, weight the same, & excercise & they would both likely have different results.  Dr. Greenbaum was recommended to me by 2 different bariatric surgeons because of his reputation for revisions.  I did write to another doctor who was recommended to me by people on here, and still no reply.  My insurance already has the policy of 1 WLS per lifetime.  So believe me was shocked when I was approved right away.  In answer to your question about my stoma being stretched.  I was surprisingly told by 2 doctors that it is larger than it was originally but still small.

As far as knowing the specifics, he has told me them on several occassions not that I understand all of it or care to.  I am not a doctor.  I understand alot more about my digestive system and my intestions they I care to know because of WLS.  He told me about the different channels and how cutting them different lengths gives you different results, but it is Greek to me.  I understand the shorter the common channel the more you lose.  I understand about the difference in the %s in the 4 channels and depending how each one is left will help you lose more or less.  He believes he has the best combination.  I believe he believes in himself and that is important to me.  I don't feel he is just guessing. I think I am money to him, but I also believe his patients are not simply a number. 

I'll write again as I go along & hopefully I will be able to give you good news.  Now if the day could just get here.  I am not loving these shakes that I had to start drinking yesterday.  LOL
beemerbeeper
on 10/1/11 12:36 pm - AL
You are making a huge mistake.  I hate it hate it hate it.  Dr Greenbaum has lost his confidence in HIS ability to do a RnY to DS and you are going to pay for that.

There are other surgeons who can give you a proper DS.  I hope you won't settle for this horrible ERNY which will leave you without your pyloric valve.

Have you read all of these:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4454843/Considering-the-RnY- Please-educate-yourself-These-threads/

These discuss problems with the RnY which you will STILL have only compounded.

~Becky

shona67
on 4/27/15 1:37 pm - Lancaster, TX

Suzanne, I recently had the distal by pass, being that you are a vet, will you share your journey with me. What daily vitamins, what daily foods & snacks & how much weight have you lost

Victorious_one
on 9/8/11 7:39 am - South Central, PA

I'm a big Greenbaum fan.  If it weren't for him, I may not be alive today (huge immediate side effects from surgery that he made sure were taken care of well, malabsorbtion issue, useless PCP).

Having said that...I'm not feeling him AT ALL on this one.

If you get down to 200 lbs, your BMI will still be 35+.  You will STILL qualify for weight loss surgery...AGAIN.  Is that a good enough outcome for you, when a different surgery (for which you've already been approved) will give you a better result?  Why would you and your surgeon actively choose not go for the surgery that's going to give you the best outcome?

All surgeries carry risks, revisions more than others.  Unless the revision is absolutely life-threatening (which the RnY to DS is not), it should be considered as a viable option, particularly if the outcome is likely to be positive.

Just my two cents.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
teachmid
on 9/8/11 8:32 am - OKC, OK
Dr. Keshishian did my open revision from a RNY to a DS in 2 hours and took my appendix and gallbladder at the sometime. This type of revision is the most complex of surgery. What makes it higher risk is not that it's open, but what the surgeon actually has to do inside.

With a revision, weight loss tends to be slower, but that being said, my pre-op weight was 257 and today I weigh 181. You do not have to settle for 200.....you don't HAVE to have any procedure you don't want.

Best of wishes to you.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Suzanne H.
on 9/8/11 12:19 pm - Warminster, PA
Thanks.  I agree with you. I will not settle for 200.  It will be my first goal.  He is going to remove my appendix  but not goal bladder at this time.  My revision will be laproscopic this time.  Woohoo.

Looking forward to the 19th and many days & months - years to follow. Feeling good about my decision.  Feeling confident that I have chosen an excellent doctor. Done second guessing him and myself.  Excited that I am about to go on a new path.  I will be able to be a more physically active parent for my wonderful children.  No more diabetes, sleep apnea or high blood pressure in a few short months.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 12:42 pm
 Well, if you don't feel good about going forward with the distal bypass, then there's your answer! Listen to those feelings, they won't steer you wrong. 

Lynda
Suzanne H.
on 9/14/11 12:40 am - Warminster, PA
As I said, I am now comfortable with my decision.  I was unsure because of what I read & because of what people on here have said.  I trust my doctor knows what he is talking about.  I will have excellent results and be safe.  The best of both worlds.  6 days & counting
Most Active