Band to Bypass?

Considering_It
on 9/4/11 10:14 pm
I've been banded for 1 1/2 yrs, and it clearly was not the right tool for me.  I'm not bitter, just ready to start considering a revision and/or just finding peace with where I am.

When/what is the timeframe where the band is considered a "failure", and revision can be pursued.  How does insurance work when you opt for revision.  To make things interesting, I have a different health insurance than when I had my band - does that make it more likely to be approved?

TIA
Sexyvt123
on 9/5/11 12:01 am
Hi Tia

Its never a set time to consider a band "Failure".  The fact that your thinking about a revision means its time.  I had my band placed in 2008 and now I'm  revising to DS on the 19th.  I gained all my weight back and the band cause more problems then solve them.  One advice I would give you is to really research ALL surgeries.  I am revising from band to DS and believe that is the best choice for maximum weight lost. 

Hislady
on 9/5/11 6:41 am - Vancouver, WA
The first thing to do is contact your new insurance and see if thney cover it, then have them send you written requirements for the surgery. I'd say 1 1/2 is plenty long enough to see that the band doesn't work. Wish you all the best with your new journey.
Lori F.
on 9/5/11 12:35 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Don't suffer for any longer than you have to. Your doc can help you decide when enough is enough. I wanted to get this band out two years ago but he said I didn't "try hard enough." So, I followed all of his rules and now he agrees with me! I also had different insurance when I got the band than I do now. I am having trouble getting revision approval, alhtough I don't think it's because another company paid for the initial band. My insurance wants to see mechanical failure, and my band is not broken. I just puke all the time. I am in the final stage of appealing to the DMHC for a revision to a DS. Really check into the DS. Go to dsfacts.com and read on this board. Good luck!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Annette O.
on 9/7/11 3:19 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I was banded in 9/06 and am having my revision to RNY on 9/19 . I'm sure you don't want to wait 5 years like I did, but in my case I didn't even have restriction from my band until 8 months post op. I'm not bitter about my band it taught me how to eat smaller portions, I'm no longer a diabetic and no longer have high blood pressure. I've given up caffeine, carbonated beverages, all things that will help with my RNY. 
  Please don't take this the wrong way  as I don't know your history but , from Feb. 2010 until now doesn't seem like a long enough time to make that judgement. Good luck to you in what ever you and your Dr. de****
Annette O
Considering_It
on 9/7/11 4:52 am
Thanks everyone.  Saw my doctor today and had a chat.  If I were to consider a revision to bypass, my insurance would probably require 3-6 months of nutritional counseling (again)....so I'll start there and see how I feel in a few months.

Most Active