Need Advice to pass along

CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 8/30/11 1:43 am
A co worker recently confided she had RNY 10 yrs. ago. Has regained most of her weight back. Admits that she does not follow any meal plan now but eats small portions throughout the day. She drinks tons of soda which she knows is not acceptable. I know post op instructions have probably changed in the last 10 yrs. as more has been learned about WLS. I know someone had once posted a 7 day pouch test. I told her I'd try to find it for her and I'd give her all of my post op instructions. Is it possible at 10 yrs. out to get the pouch working again or should she go for a consult visit about what could be done further?
Sandy  

smileyjamie72
on 8/30/11 6:06 am, edited 8/30/11 6:44 am - Palmer, AK

I am 9 years out from RNY and have also gained back quite a bit of weight.  (I lost 150#, and have gained back in the first 3 years 85#) I have been researching a revision to the DS, and have been battling the insurance companies for over 2 years to get it.

To let you know, if your friend decides to do a revision, she needs to research, and then research more.  That is NO JOKE.  If she does decide on the DS from RNY, there are only about 5 expereinced surgeons in the United States that do them.  The best advice I can give for that scenerio..... Go to a surgeon who does all 4 -- yes FOUR weight loss surgeries.  Do not be fooled by a bait & do not switch doctor -- That can and HAS happened.  Unfortunately, surgeons can become like car salesmen.  Here is a good revision link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4438047/Calling-All-Rev isions/action,replies/topic_id,4438047/page,1/

As for the pouch test, here is a link -- the 5 day pouch test.
http://5daypouchtest.com/

Here is the link to my blog:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/smileyjamie72/blog_page,1/
April 2011 in my profile has the cash pay prices for RNY to DS revisions (since I have been fighting for my revision--I have current cash pay prices)

Here is my do wants and don't wants for RNY & DS
*MY* Reasons for wanting a revision from RNY to DS [Edit Post]
on February 15, 2011 4:39 pm
Published

I came to these conclusions back in 2009...... And, I still stand by them!!!

I DO WANT:
1) a 'normal' stomach
2) a pyloric valve that functions
3) to be able to drink with my meals
4) to be able to take ibuprofen, anti inflammatories... I'm not getting any younger and the aches & pains will happen
5) eat like a 'normal' person in public
6) eat more fat
7) be able to take NSAIDS:

But there are also things like extended-, sustained-, and delayed-release medications that don't work well with the RNY,as well as some forms of oral contraceptives and some anti-depressants.

Here's a partial list of NSAIDs:

Aspirin (Anacin, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin, Excedrin)
Choline and magnesium salicylates (CMT, Tricosal, Trilisate)
Choline salicylate (Arthropan)
Celecoxib (Celebrex)
Diclofenac potassium (Cataflam)
Diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren XR)
Diclofenac sodium with misoprostol (Arthrotec)
Diflunisal (Dolobid)
Etodolac (Lodine, Lodine XL)
Fenoprofen calcium (Nalfon)
Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Nuprin)
Indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin SR)
Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail)
Magnesium salicylate (Arthritab, Bayer Select, Doan's Pills, Magan, Mobidin, Mobogesic)
Meclofenamate sodium (Meclomen)
Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)
Meloxicam (Mobic)
Nabumetone (Relafen)
Naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan*)
Naproxen sodium (Aleve, Anaprox)
Oxaprozin (Daypro)
Piroxicam (Feldene)
Rofecoxib (Vioxx)
Salsalate (Amigesic, Anaflex 750, Disalcid, Marthritic, Mono-Gesic, Salflex, Salsitab)
Sodium salicylate (various generics)
Sulindac (Clinoril)
Tolmetin sodium (Tolectin)
Valdecoxib (Bextra) Note: Some products, such as Excedrin, are combination drugs (Excedrin is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine).
I DON'T WANT ANYMORE:
1) a pouch
2) a blind stomach

Personally, the biggest thing for me was alot of soul searching, and feeling of failure.

And today, in 2011.............. This summed it all up: There is no point in losing weight and then gaining it back. This only causes enormous psychological devistation.

-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 8/30/11 8:47 am
Jamie...thank you for your valuable insight. I will pass it along to my co worker and keep it in the back of my mind for myself if need be. I hadn't done much research into DS prior to having my RNY simply because I was not aware of what it was. The "Gold Standard" for WLS has always been RNY. I am having good results so far 5 months out but I do worry about the future. In hindsight I would maybe have opted for the DS but would not have had the money to pay privately if my insurance didn't pay for it.
Sandy  

smileyjamie72
on 8/31/11 5:50 am - Palmer, AK

You are more than welcome, Sandy.  I did not know that the DS even exsisted back in 2001, when I was planning for my February RNY of 2002.  My oh my what the internet has opened up to us in terms of informing ourselves!!!!

I wish you continued success with your RNY, and am thankful for your open mind as well.
I did not start to gain weight until around October of 2003...... right after my 18 month mark.
Good luck to your co-worker!!!!

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active