To revise or not?? Advice please.

MsBatt
on 8/30/11 7:13 am
What's your BMI now, and how much more do you need to lose?

Unfortunately, failure to lose enough weight doesn't automatically qualify you for a revision. In fact, more and more insurance companies are going to a 'one per lifetime' clause on WLS. Even if your policy doesn't have one, most do require that you have a mechanical failure of some kind before they'll cover a revision.

Go to your surgeon. Ask to have a 'scope done to check out your pouch, to see if perhaps your stoma has stretched. The first thing you have to do is check for mechanical problems.

Do you journal your food? If not, start NOW. Your surgeon will need to see an accuratelisting of everything you put in your mouth.

How's your health? Do you still have co-morbs that further weight loss might resolve?

Call your insurance company and find out exactly what YOUR policy requires for a revision. Also, start researching the revision options to determine what's right for YOU.
nursegirl2001
on 8/30/11 7:27 am - Wichita, KS
I just checked my BM! and it is 39.9 which indicates obesity even post op and afler 100lbs weight loss. I am still obese and weigh 243lbs. My insurance company informed me that if I still need to lose then the doctor will have to document accordingly........I have put a phone call out to him to see if he will do a revision.......I hope and pray that he will.......
MsBatt
on 8/30/11 8:09 am
Okay, your need step is to RESEARCH REVISION OPTIONS. Not all WL surgeons do revisions AT ALL, and even fewer do all the available revisions.

I'm thinking that since you started out with such a high BMI, you really need to look closely at the DS (duodenal switch). The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, especially for those of us with BMIs greater than 50. (I'm guessing you're about 5'6", since you have a BMI of 39.9 at 243. That means that at 346, your BMI would have been 55.8.) Also, since you only lost 103 with the RNY, that indicates you need the metabolic boost the DS would give you.

BUT---there are VERY FEW surgeons who can do a true RNY-to-DS revision, and your surgeon isn't one of them. You'll need to travel in order to get a reputable RNY-to-DS revision surgeon, if that's what you decide to do.

So again---RESEARCH ALL YOUR OPTIONS, BEFORE you choose a surgeon.
nursegirl2001
on 8/30/11 8:39 am - Wichita, KS
Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 1:47 pm
Most Active