Emotional mess post surgery

Pamella L.
on 8/23/11 2:23 pm - West Covina, CA
 Hello,

I had revision surgery on from gastroplasty (1990) to a RNY on August 11 followed by a complication and had a repeated surgery on August 19. The hospital stay totaled 13 days and today I am finally home. 

While well-cared for in the hospital, I was uncomfortable in the bed, in pain, you name it. Unable to have any liquids for the entire time didnt help at all. I came home today, and as grateful as I am, I flip from crying to panic and  extreme anxiousness then loneliness at the same time. RIght now, I feel kinda calm. 

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone has had this extreme a reaction to surgery - is it just the anestesia, could it be the start of depression. I have never had been in one room for so long, I thought I would go out of my mind, even not feeling well, and now I feel trapped in my own home, unable to driv and see my friends. I panic about food yet I am not hungry. I want normal again. If I wasnt so afraid to drive for an hour, I would go back to work tomorrow just to occupy my mind. 

Anyone have a similar reaction to this surgery? How did you cope?

Pam
Frankie
on 8/24/11 3:19 am - NY
Hi Pam,

I haven't experienced this, it could be the anestesia and hormones.  Wanted to say take care of yourself.

Best,
Frankie

pandavenise
on 8/24/11 7:58 am
 I totaly understand your feelings. I am having all the same one you are except I am preop for my revison from lap band to RNY. Another person told me to order this book from Amazon called Weightlos Surgery coping Companion : A practical guide with post surgery emotions Vol I . I read all the reviews on it and it sounds really good I just ordered it myself. Hope this helps. 
Pamella L.
on 8/24/11 3:43 pm - West Covina, CA
 Thanks for the book recommendation. Ordering it now!

Hislady
on 8/24/11 8:17 am - Vancouver, WA
Sorry you are having such a rought time! It could be anesthesia or raging hormones from weight loss. If it doesn't settle down in a few days to a week I think I'd call my doc and see what they say. May need some meds for awhile to calm things down. It's a big change to your body and it's very confused for awhile. Take care  and be good to yourself!
Pamella L.
on 8/24/11 3:46 pm - West Covina, CA
Thanks for your thoughts. Much better day today. Leads me to believe it might have been the lack of sleep for 12 nights. I don't think I slept for more than a three-hour stretch (seriously) the entire time I was there. While I am still sore, its amazing what just 24 hours in our own home can do for our mental health! Keeping my fingers crossed the crying and despair has stopped. Trying to remember "One day at a time!"
Most Active